Friday Update: One Seven Twenty-two…

Well what a week, last weekend Janey and I had a weekend away but unfortunately she hurt her back and has had an awful week of pain and poor mobility, meaning I’ve been doing the school runs, the washing and cleaning as well as the usual cooking duties…


The result, as you’d expect is a slow work week. That said Linda is now painted and lined (above) and now ready for plates and crests. This isn’t a perfect replica but I’ve worked with my customers requirements to capture the essence of Linda with the cabbed tender by using the Blance donor. The difference made by modifying the cab sides was definitely worth the heart ache. The blue is custom mixed, then I painted the black edging by hand. The lining is white with a bow pen, and whilst not a perfect replica matches the shapes of the donor model whilst having the key elements of the prototype.


Mid-week I shared news about my first book, and after receiving the printed proof (above) things felt very real. A few last minute typos corrected and a few alignment changes and as you read this it has been approved for printing! I’m understandably excited…


As I mentioned in the opening, we had a weekend away and as part of that I took Janey on the Ffestiniog Railway. She hadn’t done the whole journey since the girls were small, and we enjoyed the peace and quiet of having a trip without the kids! Although, apparently I talked all the way about what we were seeing, perhaps I should volunteer as a tour guide.


The Planet Industrials 'Victory' is progressing through the factory with all the sub-assemblies and parts being painted. Above, the frames for the IW&D livery are being prepared, where you can see their fine white/black edging. Superb, it will be a travesty to weather these ones! We're hoping for assembly shots shortly, and delivery is still on track for a summer (just) arrival.


On my own bench this week I've begun work on another locomotive for Beaverbrook. This time it's a GP35 (so we've come full-circle as I toyed with getting one of these back at the start of the project). I'm working on a conversion to represent New Brunswick Southern's 9803, which is an ex SP unit hence the low headlight. The prototype has been converted to a GP38-3 by removal of the turbo and fitting some 645 power assemblies. I'm re-working a basic Athearn RTR example, which despite it's age is a neat moulding and responds well to subtle upgrades. I'm going to enjoy this... 

I hope you have all had a good week, and enjoy the weekend ahead. I could really do with a holiday, perhaps a few lie ins may be possible! We shall see, in the meantime though, more soon...

Comments