Friday Update: Eight Seven Twenty-two…

My favourite weeks in the workshop are often driven by variety. Not just variety of prototype, or scale, but of task be it etched brass soldering, modifying ready to run or designing parts for new products...

So kicking things off this week is the Impetus (yes, remember them!) kit for the Manning Wardle I. I received this from my customer with the note 'I have no idea how to motorise it' and neither did I! I decided I needed to build some of it first, so the chassis went together (and rolls beautifully) and then I thought 'I need to build the footplate' and then the firebox, and then the boiler - and then what you see here happened... I've modified the kit so that the boiler and smokebox is removable, and can be fitted once a motor gearbox driving the rear axle has been fed up through the footplate and the gearbox hidden in the firebox (in theory). I've chosen a High Level combination, and it should arrive next week with luck. I've really enjoyed this kit, the instructions are not very prescriptive and I've been able to jump around based upon the exploded drawings and work out my own approach to assembly. The art of cutting, smoothing, shaping and fixing metal parts together is peculiarly mindful, where many might find it stressful I find it calming.


I've done plenty of Rheneas conversions, but this is the first Skarloey, and it's an interesting comparison. The way this one strips down is completely insane, taking the wheels out of the chassis to remove the body! Anyhow, the smokebox door is from Shapeways, otherwise she's as she came from Bachmann and will be transformed into Talyllyn in the green livery. Stripping the paint was interesting, it basically washed off the cab with IPA but the metal parts it stuck like it was glued in place! Scraping and repeated IPA baths eventually shifted the lot but look at all that lovely rivet detail hidden by the thick paint. I'll be going steady with the gloss brunswick green application, to make sure as much of this is visible as possible.


A little larger, this Hornby Terrier arrived as Bodiam and will leave as a generic Col. Stephens liveried example, like my own Hecate. The Hornby Terrier is a really under-rated model, it's beautifully finished, has daylight through the chassis and runs superbly - highly recommended. I'd definitely consider another, if I had the need for a light railway layout... perhaps one day.


Finally, research has started for the next 7/8ths locomotive, a larger Ruston, whilst the drawing is for the 48DLG this is very similar to the 40/48 I'm working on and will provide the right dimensional accuracy to get started. If anyone is interested in reserving a model in this first batch do get in touch, as I have just one or two slots left, usual James Hilton detail and specification.

This weekend will see a ride on the Llangollen railway for me, and some good weather. I'm in need of some rest and relaxation for sure, but a little railway fix is not a bad thing! I hope you have a good weekend wherever you are, and until next time, more soon...

Comments