Motor Rail 14T standard gauge shunter in 00...

It's been some time since I picked up a drawing, a chassis and fired up CAD to produce a new kit design. To be honest I had forgotten how much I enjoy this particular aspect of my hobby...


Having recently acquired a second hand Hornby Ruston 48DS (what a lovely little model) my thoughts immediately turned to what could I design that would sit straight on this useful compact chassis? A few options came to mind, more on one of the others another time, but the small post war Motor Rail tractors seemed to offer a similar foot print and distinctive character - but where to find a drawing?



My usual sources threw up nothing so an email to Alan Keef, whom I had been in touch with on various matters modelling in the past proved fruitful as he kindly furnished me with what I needed (As a short aside it's 50 years of Alan Keef this September, and I believe he and the company are planning an open day in September, well worth a visit I expect). The drawing allowed rapid progress through design work, and spurred on by the excitement that the chassis would fit (bar the wheels being a touch too small) what you see here is the product of that initial activity.

What is the prototype though?

Following the first world war Motor Rail produced large numbers of a 40hp standard gauge shunter using the engine and gearbox from the 40hp narrow gauge tractor, the last not being built until 1948 and some in service until the 1980s. Later designs traded the 'armoured simplex' style front and rear hoods with central driving position for a more 'traditional' arrangement with a standing driver accommodated in a cab on one end of the frame. This particular 14T example is powered by a Dorman 4DL engine of 85hp, many were used in gas works sidings across the UK but a few went overseas. I have photographs of one in NCB livery as well, so a perfect model for the Planet Industrials range.


The basic concept follows my own tried and trusted approach and will not be a surprise to those of you already familiar with my kits. A reliable ready to run mechanism underpins a 3D printed core, providing a robust and square base to start from. The detailed axle boxes are integral to this but from here the detail is provided by etches, allowing the 3D print to be sanded smooth prior to painting. The etched overlays for the bonnet and cab provide detail and relief, and full rivet head detail is provided based upon a few prototype photos (not shown in these CAD mock ups, the rivet detail has been added in the etch design work which isn't so exciting to share on the blog!). To finish a set of white metal buffers will be included and a short length of brass wire for the handrails. Once complete the ample bonnet allows space for additional weight or a DCC decoder and stay alive. I plan to evaluate the prototype before deciding how best to accommodate those who wish to fit tension locks or Kadee - as at present I've only allowed for 3 link couplings.

Development should be relatively quick and I hope to have a prototype ready in August, allowing for kit release in September, all being well - but in that time frame I'm expecting to be busy with Victory arrangements too - so we shall see. If you're interested or would like to know more please leave a comment, or just for general production updates please consider signing up to our newsletter or liking the Facebook page. Until next time, more soon...



Comments