Taking the Micke: Abbey Foregate Inglenook…

When day dreaming of new model railway ideas, perhaps inspired by just a photo (as today's plan was) it's important to combine the prototype with a realistic space in our home...

The Shrewsbury Abbey tanks
Shrewsbury Abbey yard 1985, photo geoff7918 (https://flic.kr/p/dPvgQD)

As my new book (out early next month) talks about, finding that space in our modern homes is an important step and the IKEA 'Micke' desk (which first gave Pont-y-dulais a home) is a great solution allowing the incorporation of a layout into an existing 'agreed' space. Presenting the layout above the workspace takes no more room, and the viewing height works well with smaller cameo style presentation.


The corner desk provides a 1m x 1m triangle and I've a few ideas for plans in this footprint (so taking the Micke might become a short series in time!). In this first instalment we consider an echo of the old Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway in Shrewsbury, where the old station served an oil terminal until 1985. Rather than squeeze in an accurate track plan I've taken plenty of liberty and instead put some location specific features around a basic inglenook, my thought being that this setting provides plenty of run down urban interest to look at between operating and the tried and tested 'rules' of the Inglenook puzzle allow some more formal shunting - or alternately some 'semi plausible' operation could be undertaken especially if enjoying a sound fitted locomotive in this small space. 

Operation is limited, but atmosphere abounds. This for me evokes childhood memories of stepping over what felt like impossibly high rail in the sidings alongside the Bristol Dock Railway, weed strewn yet just about in service for Western Fuel Co. Hoping to see something moving, though more typically making do with some close inspection of a coal wagon, here, in Abbey Foregate you'd squeeze through the old wooden fence where the old S&M platform exited onto the road and wander through the back of the weed strewn sidings to see what wagons had been left in the yard for the weekend engineering works, perhaps catching Shrewsbury's 08 on a short trip working bringing in fresh tanks to the fuel siding, which required a little shuffling around to swap empties and loads, especially if one of the tanks wasn't entirely empty.

Utilising a few 'kits' (the Ratio fuel tanks and crane) with scratch building (the old station and end terrace) I'd envisage the tracks in the old station area to be heavily overgrown with ash ballast, contrasting to the paler grey and slightly better maintained fuel siding at the front of the layout. As I note in the illustration, 'short' modern stock (TTA, PCA, HEA) along with Engineering wagons (Dogfish, Grampus) are all available 'out of the box' as is our ubiquitous 08 - personally I'd go with a re-worked Bachmann model (as I have created) as they run superbly and allow you to show your modellers hand in their construction - but the Hornby model offers super detail and sound out of the box for those who prefer their models baked in.

What I find fascinating, is seeing a BR 08, it's distinctive wasp stripes on the blue livery in an overgrown yard, how so many of these settings now lost provide a perfect small space setup for home use - and I'd make the argument, as I have in the past, that his prototype is the one model we all should own.

Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Have been some interesting posts recently but lethargy brought on by the current heatwave here has prevented a reply until now.
    However I have been especially interested in the progress on your Canadian layouts, which I am very impressed, by and with the Sentinel/Rolls Royce diesels. Always impressed with the latter from the days they won a Queens award for design. Only downside was they replaced too many steam locos, although I still think they are better than the ex-BR 08’s that also impacted on the variety of industrial locomotives as BR sold them off.

    I am very taken by the use of the IKEA corner desk for one of your cameo-style layouts. Having walked part of the formation of the S&M in 1966 Shrewsbury Abbey is quite evocative but I was inspired to think of something based around the cement works at Barrington near Cambridge and the Barrington Light railway. This was one of the nearby industrial systems that I visit but not nearly enough, having made just five visits between 1966 and 2002. On every visit I thought this would make a great model but then….. I have sent you a map I drew of the works back in 1986 and a few photos and using the ideas you outlined I think a possible model could be made. I have always thought a cement works out in the country but with interesting operations would make a good prototype and surprised few, if any, on the exhibition circuit. There are certainly more models available that there were when I modelled in “00n4”

    Have a good and hopefully relaxing weekend

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, and for the email. I think there is some gold in here, and I’m sure something could be worked up. It strikes me that it is a place for not only industrial modelling, but for wagon enthusiast. The blend of hotch potch internal user trucks with modern PCA and HAA wagons seems to give a real contrast.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.