Twilight of the East Sussex Light...

These photos were recently found in an old cigar box at a second hand shop in Rye and they appear to show the last days of the East Sussex Light, a little known and almost forgotten Colonel Stephens railway...


It is thought that they show Hecate in steam, having pulled Hesperus out of the shed for the photographer. That would make the year 1936 and by this stage passenger service had been abandoned on the branch,  freight was negligible. That December saw rails lifted and the East Sussex drifted in to the memory. Hesperus was sold and cut up on site, Hecate saw use on other Stephens' lines including the West Dorset.


Of course, all a work of fiction. I posed a customers model, Hesperus, with my own Hecate on Kinross. The photos, especially in high contrast black and white seemed to evoke the feeling of the end of the S&M or Selsey Tram, a melancholic rose tinted view on a time now forgotten of railways that had served their purpose as public transport and mobility changed forever with the motor bus and later personal cars. 


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. 

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Hope it has become a little cooler in North Wales
    Just got back from a week with the grandchildren in Edinburgh and among the post was the latest (August) Railroad Model Craftsman and leafing through it saw an interesting article on upgrading the Bachmann GE 70- tonner. As I want to do something similar to mine for mill switching I started reading, and realised it was by you and also featured Kinross. So big congratulations on getting it in RMC. Hope will get some positive feedback on what is a very well written article both on the “history” of Kinross the model and your techniques for reproducing convincing a CN loco and van model.

    I will be re-reading to see what I could use on, what I hope will be a simpler upgrade, to my GE. It is painted in the “industrial” yellow I want and from my collection of logging and shortline photos seems it will not require so much work

    I am sure Kinross concept might produce some interest on both sides of the pond and today’s post shows how flexible that concept can be

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve still to see RMC, I believe I’m also in CM this month? I’ve actually got some laser cut glazing on my bench at present for the 70 tonner, I’m doing another one! Hope the article gives you a few ideas… I’ve got a replacement set of side frames drawn up for the standard 70tonner too, and if you cut down and smooth the fuel tank it’s a big visual improvement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.