Commission: Wagon weathering in OO…

I've recently turned out another batch of six wagons for Renfrew, all bauxite liveried ready to run models from both Rapido and Bachmann...

I've weathered all the other items for Renfrew too, and the bonus is of course that I know what colour paints I used on the track and structure weathering, and can work the same tones in to the rolling stock. As well as a 05, 08 and 29 I've also done several batches of wagons over the past year or so, and apparently there is still more to come, with some more involved replicators of specific wagons planned.


These six only required a pretty basic going over, so the usual suspects, Humbrol 98 and 33 were custom mixed into a wash and applied liberally to the underframe, painting the wheel faces, wheel backs and axles as well as the side frames and axle boxes. The body and roof were given a thinner wash, varying between wagons, and this was wiped off vertically before it was dry to leave streaking and tonal variation.


Once dry a mix of Humbrol 27004 and 133 let down with a touch of matt mid grey (I forget the number, I have run out of 245, my usual go-to grey in this instance). This was applied over the under frames and roof with just a dusting on the sides.


The benefit of this multi-stage approach is that it gives each wagon individual character and preserves a touch of the sheen in their factory finish. I find over airbrushed weathering a little flat and lifeless - where these models catch the light and show off their steaks and gathered grime as you view them from different angles, the weathering being flatter than the original finish. It is this that, for me at least, gives realism in what is otherwise quite a straight forward process. The results speak for them selves and they look great on Renfrew. I look forward to these more specific recreations in due course.

If you've got some rolling stock you'd love me to weather for you, I can often fit these sorts of commissions around the usual larger items and as such turn around times can be quite quick. Wagons start from around £20 each, to give a flavour of the cost. Do get in touch and let me know if I can help bring your layout to life. Until next time, more soon...

Comments