Alan Sewell and the 08...

I recently shared photos of another of my Class 08 models and regular reader and occasional contributor Alan Sewell left a comment regarding his disdain for the 08, especially where they usurped more interesting industrial diesels in ex-BR service...

Tilcon, Swinden, August 1997. Photo Alan Sewell.

I agree with Alan, it is a shame they displaced such varied and interesting industrial diesel locomotives,  but also their longevity shows what a sound design the prototype was over 70 years ago - their 350hp and electrical transmission a perfect combination for the type of work that we used to have in abundance across the UK. Even today there are examples in both 'mainline' service (with Freightliner for example) and 'industrial' service (Celsa in South Wales). Anyhow, Alan trawled his archives and found he in fact did photograph the odd 08 (or derivative) on occasion, usually when capturing something else of interest...

Well, I photographed some 08 although they were very much a bit player as you can see in the photographs attached. I took these at what was then Tilcon, Swinden Limeworks near Skipton in North Yorks .

I visited the works twice the first in April 1971 when a Ruston 0-4-0 was spare and the working loco was a 4wDM Hibberd of 1958. Both were covered in lime dust and the Hibberd may have been painted white as well but difficult to tell. 

Over twenty-five years later I went back in August 1997 and found the works extended and modernised with the Grassington-Skipton branch finishing at the quarry. The working loco which I photographed was the unique 6w-6wDH CRACOE built by RFS in 1994 but there was also an 08, which I did not photo, with wagons further into the works. However since I wanted to photograph the shed area I had to include the back at least of two 08s parked there (see photo) and suspect they were spare to CRACOE    

Tilcon, Swinden, August 1997. Photo Alan Sewell.

6w-6wDH CRACOE built by RFS in 1994, Tilcon Swinden, August 1997. Photo Alan Sewell.

Thank you for sharing these with us all Alan - if you'd like to see more of Alan's occasional industrial diaries on the blog, then the 'Alan Sewell' label will find them all for you. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Ah, the love/hate relationship with 08s is interesting to me. My first Triang set, given on Christmas 1967, included an 08--its blunt stance and the primitive motor with an horrific noisy growl that to my 8 year old ears were, simply, captivating. While my parents the next year gave me a book on WWI railways which started another lifelong love for the three origianl variants of the Motor Rail Simplexes I can't see a picture of a 08 and not stop to gaze for a few seconds. I suspect early exposure put me in the love category around the 08. It wasn't until decades later that a British friend revealed the nickname "Gronk" and that only strengthened the love. Ah, well, to each his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave thank you for sharing the story. This is the sort of writing we need more of in the hobby, honest, heart felt and well practiced so it’s both enjoyable to read and also a feast for the imagination, the senses… I can hear that Triang model. Love it!

      Delete
    2. James, I'll mention that besides growling, grinding and complaining, that 08's electric motor gave off the most odor of any loco I've ever owned. Triang figured out the full sound/aroma experience decades ahead of anyone else: Simply use inferior, inexpensive components.

      Delete
  2. I can appreciate Alan's perspective, I'm very much a fan of all those weird and wonderful diesel industrial shunters they replaced. However, I'm also very much a gronk lover (weird thing to say but I can't think of a better phrase right now) too. Having spoken to people who operate them regularly, the power unit seems to be virtually bulletproof; apparently they can often be left standing for ages and still be fired up without much fuss. Plus, they have bags of personality, even for a mundane bit player. I prefer to think of them as character actors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they feature in my new book as ‘lead actors’ so that’s hopefully worth waiting for too…

      Delete
    2. Just take my money right now

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.