Lochdubh: 'The' Land Rover (N part 49)…

Sometimes I do wonder if I'm crazy. This latest project, part of the Scottish N gauge diorama 'Lochdubh' is a representation of the Land Rover that Hamish Macbeth drives in the BBC television series...


I believe the real example to be a Series 2, but alas the Oxford model is a Series 1 - but beggars can't be choosers and this thing is tiny, so bear with me on the first discretion. I used a Royal Mail example because it had the right style of metal roof, and scribed on the back door, and sanded off the logos. I also cut off the headlights either side of the grill and smoothed the arch extensions so I could drill and fit jewels on these, to at least 'suggest' this is a Series 2.


I chose the Royal Mail example as it also had the silver window frames, so these were masked before the model was sprayed white. The orange band with blue edges was applied using a bow pen (!!) and the Police beacon (which although wonky in these photos is so small you can't see this in real life) is cut from plastic sections - the Police being a tiny print out of paper. The mud flaps are also from paper, superglued in place and painted black.


Lightly weathered with Humbrol 72 to soften the finish a little, it looks the part on the platform of Lochdubh. I may go as far as adding the number plates in time, but for now it was a pleasant distraction from the next job on the layout, building the access road ramp and retaining walls - a job for this weekend perhaps? 

Most of this post touches on the 'how' the model was produced - the 'why' is probably more interesting, but also more difficult to explain. Quite why I am going through a period of childhood nostalgia I don't know, but I find the Speedlink era N gauge layout a tonic as I research old magazines I find familiar from simpler times. Hamish Macbeth was one of my favourite shows as a young teen and I had always loved a West Highland Terrier - living in a small rural community such as that portrayed, albeit rather comically, in Hamish Macbeth was and has always been a draw for me too - so nostalgia yes, with a blend of the wistful - fuel for the soul never the less, and the creative mojo that keeps you and me entertained here on the blog. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Nicely executed! It will be very interesting and instructive to see this vehicle in the N scale environment it's meant to live in--or more accurately, blend into. Especially for those like me who have worked in HO or 1:43.5, are considering N scale cameos and are still learning to visualize what is important in creating an effective N scale visual experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall see endeavour to cover all that in the coming months Dave, when I set out this scheme I had in mind a Post-bus on the platform to provide some colour, and that may still be the case on occasion (as I bought one) but the opportunity to make the Lochdubh connection to Hamish Macbeth a little stronger was too much to resist. Strangely though the subtle off white colour seems to suit the setting more and the red accent is taken care of by the phone box. Once I get some impression of distant mountains it will hopefully pop a little more. Time will tell but I’ve a picture in my head and I’m painting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.