Step into my time machine: Crewe Heritage Centre...

A rainy weekend afternoon, probably not dissimilar to the last time I visited Crewe Heritage Centre nearly 30 years ago found my son and I walking down the drive, flanked by the WCML, the Chester line and the iconic APT-E...


I'd describe the experience as nostalgic. I enjoyed myself immensely but the heritage centre has the feel of an old museum - lots of static exhibits of decaying beasts, access to cabs and shabby paint jobs - reminiscent of a lot of aircraft museums of the 1990s. It's a rare event sitting in the driving seat, and even rarer when doing in the APT, and one that Alex also recognised as being one of 'those' experiences. Some of the exhibits are in great condition, the cafe/shop/observation deck in the old North Junction signal box are well priced and great value. Some of the items present I understand are on loan, whilst others are being clearly restored. From a personal perspective it is a little poignant to see the trains of my youth in a museum. The 86 looking tired, but the 87 inside fantastic. The 91 is great, it would be amazing to see a 90 complete the set.

 

Some interesting and well preserved other elements too, the Sentinel (deep in restoration with no engine or fuel tank above the frames!) has a wonderfully restored rolling chassis (left) whilst the 37 under the tarp appears to be having some attention a lot of the bodywork is in good contain or has been removed for restoration. Great to see real care being taken with these venerable machines.

 

The icon though, and a real draw, is the APT-E (excuse the moody edited photo below). From the hallowed Hornby catalog to reality, finding this unique survivor in both remarkably sound yet sadly decaying state says a lot of our railway heritage. We're happy to see polished kettles running past on the mainline whilst the APT-E is almost an embrassament? To me this machine should be at least under cover. That said, it appears water tight, the paint work is in reasonable condition, there is obviously a great deal of care and love that goes into it at the museum. The re-covered seats alone would have taken weeks of work. I hope it survives, perhaps a sponsorship deal with one of the British train manufacturing firms could see a little more work undertaken to preserve what is left?


Sat inside the relatively spacious interior a candid selfie as I contemplate the technologies eventual results, the Italian built Pendolino use the work the British Rail research department undertook to develop both the APT-P and APT-E. Somehow, in their dull grey and turquoise livery the Avanti branded Pendolino's don't quite light the same fire of excitement or energy in me - or my son - as the bright, forward looking Intercity livery used on the APT-E... what of the future?

 



The old signal box flat roof offers a great vantage point to watch trains - if you like units you'll be in heaven as we didn't see a single 'locomotive move' in the two hours we were at the Heritage Centre! From brand new 197s to ageing 150s there was a little variety. That said, tracing back to my childhood we saw locomotives yes, but variety not really. Would it be a Class 86, Class 87 or Class 90 on a rake of Mk2 or Mk3 coaches with a DVT? You might see a few Sprinter's too, as now a days, but for a long time Crewe  station has been devoid of freight - as I believe most diverts around this busy station.

Class 197 heading for Holyhead. A two car train from Crewe to Holyhead seems a little 'light' but perhaps on a Sunday is adequate?

My favourite of the Sprinter's the 150/2, yes the 158 are more comfortable on a longer journey but there is something about the balance of doors and windows on these shorter trains. This TfW example heads for Manchester Picadilly, perhaps all the way from Newport or Cardiff? At the very least from Shrewsbury...

The omnipresent 350, an example in the original London Midland livery heads north to Liverpool Lime Street.

A pair of 350s arrive from Liverpool. These units seem to dominate the line, along with the Pendolino, but don't really fill me with much energy.

So a grand day out, and for those of a similar age to myself, one that will fill most with nostalgia in a good way. I'd recommend the museum is worth a visit if you're in the area. Plenty of parking, reasonable food and a treasure trove of a shop. Back to modelling again tomorrow, so until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. The 350s are local to me. I like the end door face, they could have looked very bland otherwise. Now everything is starting to look like a tram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly not ugly but once you’ve seen one… perhaps. I always preferred the look of the 150/2 with the gangway over the 150/1. Maybe I’m a weirdo!

      Delete
  2. "The re-covered seats alone would have taken weeks of work" - actually, no. A few years ago, a film company wanted to recreate an APT interior and borrowed some seat covers. They then sent the 2 coaches worth of tartan seats back to the museum as a thank you. The fit isn't perfect, but it's very good and didn't cost the museum a penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there you go, fancy! Nice to hear of things like that Phil, do you know what film the APT interior was for?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.