By time machine to Carrog…

The second time machine of the week, and this time we're travelling back to the 1950s aboard a vintage DMU on the Llangollen Railway...


A rainy afternoon during the Easter holidays saw us take a ride from Llangollen to Carrog return. The rain didn't spoil the journey and the leaf-less trees meant we still had a view. In fact, it was wonderful to see the efforts of the volunteers on the railway, the new hedges between Deeside Halt and Glyndyfrdwy are fantastic, and will make a big difference to those travelling on the railway in the summer, really opening up the views.


Typical of the holidays we've had a good mix of rain and sun so the valley is looking beautiful. Riding along on the DMU was a blast from the past, and reminds me every time of trips with Dad to Altrincham, if we were lucky enough to catch a 101 from Chester rather than the normal Pacer.


Many may turn up their nose at a classic DMU, but for me they're as much part of the railway heritage that should be preserved as the myriad of steam locomotives we're lucky to be able to see and enjoy today. Perhaps a ride on your local line's DMU service will offer you the same experience, and support our preserved railways in a way that they are very much in need of these days. Bums on seats. Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. I can't quite believe I still haven't visited the Llangollen Railway after all these years - I'm intending to put that right on 13 May for the Garden Railway Festival. Are you planning to attend? Can I buy you a cuppa?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for me there was always a tinge of disappointment at seeing a DMU had been allocated for the train I was about to catch, rather than a more exciting loco-hauled formation. These days, however, I find that the older DMUs actually have a lot of character and I really enjoy riding on them - or just seeing them. Perhaps someday I'll feel the same way about Pacers too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, DMU and Sprinters were my childhood exposure of train travel, and I’ve a soft spot for Pacers and Sprinters as a result… in fact I’ve a few plans for pilgrimages in the coming months and year or so to savour the last of the second generation units before they’re replaced by these CAF things.

      Delete
    2. Sprinters and Pacers were a staple of my late childhood and teenage travels as well - I absolutely love Sprinters these days, still don't feel that way about Pacers. I actually prefer even CAF things to Pacers. I know I'm in the minority with that viewpoint; I just remember Pacers being an uncomfortable and unreliable unit and can't seem to muster any nostalgia for them (yet). Maybe I haven't spent long enough on today's units to appreciate them.

      Delete
    3. Pacers took me on trips with Dad in early teens, and from Newcastle to the Metrocentre at Uni - so adventures and independence I guess, fuelling a rose tinted nostalgia.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.