Commission: Logging mallet…

What a beast, I can't even comprehend spending the amount of £££ this brass mallet is worth on a locomotive and I was absolutely honoured to be asked to weather this logging behemoth...


 

Working from some prototype photos it seems that these big beasts were fairly looked after towards the end of their lives, as my customer requested I refinish this example. After fitting his own custom decals on the rear bunker and touching up the paint I began by using washes to darken and dirty up the chassis and top of the boiler between the tanks. 


The tanks were washed over too, but then most of this was removed with a wide flat brush leaving a subtle vertical streaking of dirt, mirroring those photos I was working upon. A few micro painted details like the white weeping from the high pressure cylinder lubricator were added before a dusting of dirt to blend the edges of washes with the airbrush.


The finishing touch really brings the finish to life - I added some hi-lights to the edges by dry brushing with gun-metal. This really makes a model pop if done with restraint, and the result, at least to my eyes is a logging locomotive full of character. 

 

If you have a factory box fresh model that you would like to breathe life into then please do get in touch using the contact form here on the website. I offer a fixed price no obligation proposal, and would love to work with you. In the meantime, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Hope you have got some sort of holiday and relaxation after your rush to get commissions completed. From what I see they are all turning out well

    I had a number of brass logging lokeys over the years but with the conversion to DCC I disposed of most, as the conversion process was not always was successfully achieved. Having one, albeit expensive, version designed for DCC seems a good idea if funds permit.

    As someone who wants operating lokeys not showcase models weathering is a must and your skills in this “art” say this model is a working loco. Unless the “show” was logged out or about to go over to trucks the big forest companies kept their lokeys in good mechanical condition if not always clean but certainly not a “rolling rust bucket” seen on too many models I have seen. You have managed to capture that "working lokey near the end of its life" which is important to me in a steam locomotive on my model railroad. Well done it achieving this

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the commission Alan, a pleasure to breathe life into this lovely model.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.