Re-discovering an old friend...

Regular readers will know of my love of the printed page. Books, you can't beat them and my library grows every year. Second hand books form a fair percentage of the content too, it's even better when you can support a good cause too...


This example 'Motive Power Review' was found in the 80041 Society 'Mk1 BG' shop at Carrog a few weeks ago... the shop is a treasure trove of great material, keenly priced books on a variety of railway (and a few non railway) subjects, second hand trains and the usual tat. Books though, perfect - I could spend a long time browsing their shelves. This was presented face out though, and instantly I recognised it.


Another of the 'missing pieces' of my childhood Chester library visits, if anything this was my favourite book, I just hadn't realised what it was until I saw the Badger on the cover and those memories came flooding back. Just £4, a real bargain, especially considering what great condition it is in - and the personal value to me of discovering and enjoying it.


However, there is an intangible value on items like this - as I held the book in my hands, gently flicking through the pages, that tactile touch of finger tips on page edges, photographs of old familiar friends and the memories come flooding back - just as Crewe or the Llangollen DMU are time machines, so is this book and the experience of rediscovery. This is not a post to interrogate my feelings of nostlagia nor why such things have a calming effect on our minds, like being given a big hug from a loved one the effect is pleasing and repeatable. Even just seeing it sat next to the sofa, waiting to be re-discovered elicits some of that same response.


Enjoy your Sunday, I hope you can find your own quiet space to enjoy re-discovering a book in your own collection. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments