Down on Beaverbrook: Back of the backscene...

This H0 scale layout project is being taken a little slower than my usual cameo projects...

I think that’s a combination of factors, both available time and a conscious decision to carefully consider (but not procrastinate) over each step. So after having the basic boards and structure in place, a continuous photo sky backdrop on order, the lighting pelmet being laser cut and the LED lighting already here, I pushed on today.
One of the things that had puzzled me was the best way to make use of the existing wall mounted power socket, and as a result, as it would be hidden, how permanent I envisaged the layout... and in the case of moving it did I intend to just rescue scenic detail, or try and move the whole thing complete...

I will pause here, as that’s an important consideration...

After talking a lot later about small layout success, I’ve been discussing more about modelling and the juggling of artistic and scientific compression with Chris, and in a rather pleasing circular discussion I ended up realising I’d answered my own thoughts already, layouts need both a space to exist as well as a prototype to model...

So what do I mean? 

Well in this instance I’m modelling Beaverbrook because it fits this space... If I had to move the layout then it might not be the best prototype anymore, however structures and details could be moved as they represent a substantial time investment when compared to throwing down some track and ballast. Well not quite, but you take my meaning. In this instance then, Beaverbrook is impermanent: the shelving wall brackets will be the only thing permanently fixed and the layout itself is not designed for taking apart in one piece. 

That decision means I can construct in a manner that is robust and lightweight without considering how it may come apart and how to strengthen it for handling off the shelf brackets. This is an important milestone and will help inform how the project progresses.
So the backscene boards are white coated hardboard, cut to fit around the shelf brackets. They will be taped together and glued, taped and held in place with chocks of wood, to give a smooth surface to mount the backscene. This will go on shortly, before lighting and pelmet which at 25cm deep from the top line, to limit the view of the lighting and brackets supporting the lid, would make fitting of the sky difficult. Taking your time to think through ideas, construction techniques and decide the logical order to undertake each task is paying off, so far, with progress but no wasted effort.

Until next time, more soon...


Comments