Down on Beaverbrook: Sky and light...

I took the day off today, I just felt like working on my own project, the sun was out, I went for a walk, got home and made progress...
The custom printed one piece backscenes arrived, and I cut them up to fit. I had three made, the same overcast sky as on Pont-y-dulais, and the two shown here...
Question was, which to use... the top one felt a little darker and a warm than the blue I had in mind, so I plumped for the lower one. Next step was to cut out the bits to go round the shelf brackets, and then a test fit... all as hoped so the it was time to make things permanent. The first step was to glue the hardboard to the wall racking with gorilla glue. Once dry the gaps were taped, and then I prepared for the backscene. I was anxious about the large size of the sheets, but it transpires that I needed have worried, the self adhesive backing is both grippy, but did peel off with some force when I had it misaligned. The plastic material is robust and not easily creased or damaged, but the print is still damaged if it’s got wet. I got into the swing of it and had it fitted in about an hour end to end, from flat sheet to cut and fitted sheet on the wall.
The last step then was to mock up the lights and of course then run a train! The lighting is effective, especially now it’s getting dark outside. There will be a pelmet about 25cm deep along the top to hide the LED ribbon and support brackets, but even without that and it’s reflective properties the loco is well illuminated, and the backscene free of shadow. The back strip of LEDs will be cut to cross each bracket to reduce the glare on the backscene, but I expect with the fascia fitted it will just all blend in and provide a letterbox view of the whole layout. Then onto track laying! Until next time, back to work tomorrow. More soon...



Comments