A nod to old memories...

As a child on my first trip to Canada in 1989 my Dad bought a number of Model Power cylindrical grain cars, as a memento of our travels, and my favourite ones were the blue Alberta and brown Saskatchewan cars...
Well, these cars may be in their twilight on the real railway, but in my heart they carry a strong emotional connection to the reason I create model railways in the first place so I decided a trio of new Walthers Mainline cars could find a home on Beaverbrook, serving the feed mill.
These cars from Walthers aren’t finely detailed but do feature very neat end ladders and see through walkways. The paint finish is pretty decent, although the Saskatchewan car does have a feel that the markings are sort of stretched over the sides.
The CN car features round hatches rather than long hatches. The trio will be lightly weathered with time, but there are plenty of other projects to crack on before I need to worry about that. For now, I’ve for some decent readily affordable cars to help put a smile on my face when running Beaverbrook. 
Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Those Model Power cars help to fill out a grain fleet, but it's best not to look at them too closely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time they were the best option, now these Walthers cars feel like their spritual successor.

      Delete
    2. The Model Power cars were a major addition to Canadian modellers' car fleets. Literally the best we had at the time and priced to sell. And they sold...a lot!! But enough about me! By 1983, the NMRA convention in Winnipeg meant a custom-painted car in silver-and-yellow. A big deal at the time. Thanks for posting these, James!
      Eric

      Delete
    3. Thanks Eric, I should dig a few out, I saved them for memories. I’ve also got a load of 1990s era Intermountain cars my Dad built from kits, but these were tricky to build and are far from perfect.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.