Why do I do this?

As often can be the case, a casual conversation with a good modelling friend recently, in this case about Grant Eastman’s wonderful Southern Alberta Railway, led to a deeper reflection...

Over a virtual coffee Chris reflected about the combination of operation and rail-fanning that he was drawn to in both his own current thoughts on an N gauge project, as well as Grant’s layout. I realised that what I loved was the spectacle. If the SAR was mine I’d just be running trains, and organising meets on the fly. 

Just soaking all the mountain atmosphere in…

Field, 1999 on my second trip to the Canadian Rockies.
Taking a step back, I reflected that really, you could thank my Dad for taking me to the Canadian Rockies as a 9 year old. I was absolutely in awe of the long trains, spiral tunnels and the huge yard and helpers at Field. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve such fond memories of the prairies too, we spent a month in Saskatoon whilst Dad finished work, before doing a drive across to Vancouver. 

Big skies, big mountains, big impression when you’re 9 and already love trains...

Chris commented:
I love this sense of connection. If we remember these reasons our path is always obvious. Further, I think, we’re connected to a fundamental vision that’s not limited to one particular formula. That we can “see” that in any opportunity.

I thought some more about this... 
For me, model railways is a shared experience. Whether that was with Tim, my best friend from childhood, my Dad, building several projects together or more recently friends found both locally and virtually across the world, a shared passion for what we’re doing. Don’t get me wrong, I love model making, I love the creative process and the combination of skills and techniques we use in research, design, physical model making, photography, video, internet blogs etc, but I also love sharing it, which is one of the reasons I write this blog, and one why I enjoy good creative friendships.
A few of the memories of ExpoNG trips over the years... 
Thank you to you all. 
You’re part of this for me.

What do you think? Why do you model? Is their a deeper realisation under the obvious answer? I’d love to hear what you think. Until next time, more soon...

Comments