Ruston LB in 7/8ths: Gearbox...

One of the things that first drew me to 7/8ths over the more obvious 16mm scale for the garden was the amount of credible detail possible…

The Ruston LB project I’ve started is the opportunity to take this another step further than I achieved with the Hudson Hunslet in 2019/20. The engine, radiator and axle boxes especially on that project showed what I wanted to achieve with high levels of fidelity and neat detail. However under the frame it was more of a business as usual drive system.

The opportunity here is to drive the Ruston as the prototype was driven. The intent is to run the same tried and tested N20 form factor compact motor gearbox, through straightforward nylon bevel gears to create a layshaft I can drive from to each axle using Delrin chain and sprockets… none of this is new.
However what is new for this project is the idea of containing this drive within a ‘prototypical’ gearbox assembly that features the same form factor and detail as the prototype. Using drawings and photographs I have developed a prototype and this will be extensively tested before the production models are started later in the year.
I have sources the motors and bevel gears, once the prototype gearbox parts arrive I will share more, and build a test assembly to allow full evaluation of the design. Once this is confirmed I intend to source and fit bushings or roller bearings on the casing for the layshaft. If you’d like to reserve a mode in this summers batch, the models will be priced at £1330 and a £130 deposit is required to secure a production slot. Get in touch for more information.

Until next time; more soon…




Comments

  1. I think this is a great idea. I'm all for as getting as close to the prototype as possible even if it's a detail no one will ever see... says the person who fitted working lids to Simplex sandboxes in 16mm scale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, yes the prototype has arrived and is 95% successful, I need to add the lauy shaft nearing clearance and a tab to hold the motor in place.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.