Pointless packaging...

Today I received a relatively large parcel in the post, at least 25cm long, and about 12cm x 12cm deep. I couldn't for the life of me think what I'd ordered that would need such a big box...
This was the last item in an order from Hatton's, something that wasn't in stock with the other items so followed separately. I've been a very satisfied customer of Hatton's for over 30 years, but in this instance I was concerned...
Inside is a big roll of bubble wrap, and what appears to be (another) catalog - I seem to get these in every parcel, a complete waste of resources, but the best is yet to come...
So what was in the box? A small packet of rail joiners! Yes, rail joiners. Something that could have gone in a normal envelope and arrive intact! I contacted Hatton's about this, and they've passed on my comments to the mail room, but until more of us kick up a fuss about the envirornemt and sustainability in our shopping experiences, be they model trains or whatever, then nothing will change. So net time you're flabbergasted at packaging reach out to the seller and see what they have to say. I tend to keep most packing materials for sending out customer models, as they say Reduce REUSE recycle. I can't reduce myself, but I can re-use. Hopefully Hatton's, and the like can look at how they can reduce. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. The catalogue needed a big box! That being said, I once ordered a sheet of decals from Microscale. The sheet arrived in a small box, balled up so it would fit in it... Apparently packing items for shipping is not as straightforward as one would think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.