Commission: Bagnall DL2 in OO...

I've recently been commissioned to design a model of the Bagnall DL2 industrial locomotive in OO gauge to utilise a Bachmann (Next 18 equipped) Class 03 chassis...


The prototype were very similar to the Drewry 204hp diesel shunter, same wheelbase and same engine (although problems with reliability did mean later locomotives were built with a slightly larger, more powerful unit necessitating a 1ft increase in wheelbase and an extra bonnet door. The majority found use in the NCB in Staffordshire, and several have been preserved.




I've developed a 'kit' to allow the model to be built that captures the prototype within the limits of using a RTR chassis. The model is built around a 3D printed core with etched overlays, in my usual style. The chassis will require no modification to fit, and will still allow a decoder and speaker to be fitted should the modeller desire. These 'screen shots' show progress to date, I'm assessing a few final things to improve manufacturability before ordering prototype parts.


Although this is a commission, and my customer wants a complete build, he has agreed to me releasing this as a kit through the Planet Industrials range later in the year. This will be the first of a new approach where we only run a limited quantity of each model, and once it's sold out, it's done. This keeps things fresh for me, and stops us having to hold inventory (and the £££ that ties up) for older slowing moving kits in the range. If you'd be interested then do get in touch via the form here, Facebook or the forums. Until next time though, more soon...

Comments

  1. Stick me down for a kit please James.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andy!
      We’re going to do a one off batch at the end of the year, I’ll let you know when it’s ready. Hoping the ‘prototype’ etch arrives this week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.