Down on Beaverbrook: Crossing signs…

How do we choose what to include in our models? As artists which elements make the final cut? These crossing signs on Beaverbrook have been on the list for sometime, why have they taken so long?


The first question is probably more interesting than the second, let’s consider that first… if our layout is the stage and our locomotive the lead actor we are already thinking about the models in a theatrical manner. It goes therefore that we are telling a story, and everything we include (or equally leave out) supports that narrative. Part of the drama of Beaverbrook is the interplay between rail and road, and hence road signs that relate to that element are intrinsic to the tale being told.


The second question is more about my physical distance from and unfamiliarity with the prototype. How do you model something when you’re not quite sure how big it is? In the end though I decided enough was enough, drew some cross bucks up at different sizes and made an executive decision on which ones ‘looked’ best! This basic modelling skill had evaded me, I had been frozen by a lack of information, conscious of how critical they were to the finished scene and a fear of failure that I couldn’t see the ease of the solution in front of me. It was time and a step back from modelling on be layout, some mental distance, that finally allowed me to move past the block.

  

The results are I hope pleasing, and despite not being to scale they feel good to have in place. Position was never a problem, as I have the prototype to observe, the way the road is tight to the railway really does challenge the engineers considering sign position, the STOP sign being a case in point, this is for the road, not the railway! I’m enjoying the process of moving the layout forwards at different rates along its length, whilst the road crossing here is almost complete, the centre section is barely scenic’d. The allows me to enjoy mocking up photos here, whilst building structures and doing ground work elsewhere. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I think proportion is more important than dimension in creating an effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean you’re probably right. I tend to follow an artistic rather than engineers approach to the craft, and would say composition yes, more important that absolute fidelity.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.