Down on Beaverbrook: Contrasts…

It’s funny how things go in cycles. From last week running my latest creation (the Bay Colony GP) to this week the TT U18B and S13 are back on the layout…

These faux TerraTransport models are a place marker across the Atlantic between me and my day dreams, my memories and between friends too - such wonderful things to own, to share and enjoy. I shared these photos with good friend Chris

That S13 remains a favourite TerraTransport thing.

This model was the first ‘kit’ I built for Beaverbrook. A Kaslo shops resin model it rides on an cheap Bachmann S4 with a Soundtraxx Tsunami 2 decoder, early days so no lights, wonky details and a noisy drive, it isn’t used very often but since the TT patch was applied, I just think it looks so right on the layout. It always sparks conversation and day dreaming between Chris and I…


I see the S13 is still dead at Beaverbrook. I can appreciate how it can wait but the railfan in me worries it won’t leave under its own power.


Seeing the contrast between hand made and ready to run, between MLW and GE, between hand me down get us through ‘thrift’ and deliberate forward looking investment, between black and green - all layers of modelling, or dreaming… of art perhaps? Telling my story, our story?

What do you think? Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Have enjoyed the recent Beaverbrook posts. Seems to me that this is getting even more of a feel for the real thing with each time you work on it. I guess you must be pleased with progress and operations look good as well. As I have been reading the posts I thought it reminded me of another of my visits but could not think what until I looked at a photo on the wall on the stairs to the train loft.
    In 2015 I and a friend went to the NMRA Convention in Portland, Oregon. I organised a couple of side trips for he and I and one was to Millennium Terminals in Longview WA. They were exporting coal, alumina and grain and same of the structures were very Beaverbrook like. Unfortunately they did not have an Alco but did have three ancient GE centre cabs- two early 1950's 80 ton and a drop cab 45-ton built for war service in Europe. The place would have made a great model but would mean changing from forest products!!! I then saw Weyerhaeuser down the road and all was well
    Will send a couple of photos and see what you think
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always, thank you Alan! The email of photos has arrived and I can see your parallels, indeed and what modellable locomotives!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.