Friday Update: Sixteen Six Twenty-three…

A scorcher this week, yellow grass abounds and when the wind drops it’s unbearably hot in the valley. Taking shelter in the dark cool workshop has been some solace this week, where in winter it’s so cold it’s uncomfortable at least in summer the coolness continues. More variety in projects this week so let’s take a look…


This prototype etch is for a joint project started a few years ago - long in gestation (started before the pandemic) I’ve no doubt the end result will be sublime though I can’t say too much more for the minute, but it’s going to be great to move the project forwards again with these parts. 7/8ths scale for the garden.

 

A good variety of modelling commissions in the workshop this week, including this EFE J94 that has been transformed into an Austerity. Working with my customer to develop a semi-plausible back story, select a prototype and work out the best way to capture the character in miniature has been a lot of fun, and here is the result, sealed in lacquer awaiting weathering. The work has involved the usual modelling skills plus the design and sourcing of custom waterslide decals including the distinctive shaded lettering on the side tanks, the sort of 'all in one' encompassing commissions I love - transforming a ready to run item into someone's dream model.


As well as working on the final proofing of my book I’ve also made a start on a batch of OO gauge models for weathering. Several of them require a crew fitting so a series of Modelu ‘Planet Industrials’ sets have been painted up, a sample shown above. I’ve added ‘NCB’ style donkey jackets to the more modern figures, which have responded well to a shade wash and pale dry brush. When undertaking your commission I can provide a complete one stop shop, sourcing parts and finishing them as part of a transformation including decals, crew, details, decoders etc etc, please get in touch for your own personal proposal using the form here on the site, Facebook or the forums.


Shapeways have recently offered a new material and these pair of Planets have been printed in it, whilst it seems largely similar if slightly better than the old ‘Smooth Detail (previously Frosted Ultra Detail) it is a lot softer and deforms easily so I think future kits will need to bear this in mind if it’s to be used. This pair will be packed with the last two ‘all in one’ kits including motor and drive after which I’m not sure we’ll be doing another batch so if you want one keep an eye out on Light Railway Stores for the stock to go live.


On the ‘home’ bench this week I’ve been enjoying the arrival of the CN van (caboose) on Beaverbrook which has reinvigorated the layout, the subject of a few operating sessions again this week. The ability for this project continue to hold my interest over a long period is both rewarding and interesting. Whilst a blank canvas the layout is one that ties a lot of first hand Canadian railroad memories together, combined I guess with it being ‘my thing’ and not one I undertake for customers. Whilst my heart naturally migrates to locomotives, and lesser stock - the scene, the stage itself is important here and I am keen to get back to structure modelling with all I’ve learnt in N recently.


Talking of N, this slice of nostalgia arrived in the past week or so, a 37 I saw in pristine condition at Chester in the early 1990s. Whilst it doesn’t fit the Scottish project, nor any other planned N gauge scheme there is a slight method in my madness, and if things progress on a new idea in this area then I’ll share my thoughts here in the future. In the meantime, Regional Railways was one of my favourite liveries in my teens so it’s nice to have a little melancholic nostalgia around.


Thoughts continue to bounce around on what to ‘build’ next and my Dapol 22 and Farish ball clay wagons have been out being tested on various radii this week with half an idea to build a ‘pizza’ layout inspired by the Torrington line beyond Barnstaple. If it were still fitted with N gauge couplings Radius 1 wouldn’t be a problem, as it is, radius 2, around 10”, is probably the limit with the DG couplings unless I make one for the wagon to loco connection that is a little bigger… that said as research continued I wonder whether to revisit the Drinnick plan I came up with previously and find a home for some of the stock that doesn’t really fit with Paxton Road or Lochdubh? China clay, Devon or Cornwall… it’s all good fun thinking about what could be and day dreaming a little about design, operation, choreography and caricature. 

I hope you have a relaxing weekend ahead, and can enjoy some downtime. I'm hoping the heat breaks, if I'm honest a good few days of rain would be welcome - but that said, in the shade, with a soft breeze and the sounds of the railway in the valley - it's not all bad. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments