Welcome to Lochdubh (N part 55)…

It can be the small details that help place a layout yet these should not be overstated or coarsely represented in an attempt for them to catch an eye. Rather, as part of the overall scene they help tell the story, set period as well as location…


Over the weekend the 0.8mm brass tube arrived which has meant some more progress on Lochdubh, a lovely way to spend some time indoors out of the heat of the mid afternoon here in the valley. Before we talk about these it’s worth noting the bridge railing and parapet has also been added from various styrene sections which has further added to the ‘Kyle’ness of the scene. Foreground ‘clutter’ is based upon photos of the inspiration but does need a little weathering… scene composition is about capturing the mundane with heart and feeling so that it evokes a sense of nostalgia and comfort in the viewer. Peaceful, boring even?


When we work in N it is easy to forget just how small much of what we describe and share on the internet actually is! These lamp posts are hand made from the 0.8mm brass tube (blue base) and 0.45mm brass rod (pole and arm). The lamp is various sections of plastic styrene from Slaters and the sign is 10thou styrene. To get the finesse I was after this is painted blue and white and the markings added from water slide decals I had made fairly recently. Even those dimensions don’t get over how tiddly this is, so excuse my thumbs for scale! Working on details this small demands a disproportionate increase in finesse, and often I find myself reaching for the magnifiers ti ensure a painted edge is smooth - as although the human eye doesn’t see the errors, photography does!


I took the layout down from above the bench and added the holes for the lamps and the telephone pole (at the base of the ramp). This birds eye view snows now compact everything is - as well as some of the areas I want to add further detail. At the left the road needs finishing off, the croft securing and a road sign adding. The rear ‘tunnel’ needs a parapet (this will need to be lower profile and less obvious than the main one as I don’t want to detract from the scene, or spoil the view of the croft. The muddy road area front left needs a little more work with stippling of darker shades, but is coming in the right direction. Stage right I’m wondering about some rusty railings at the end of the platform? So although we’re getting there and it’s nearly complete it is far from finished.


I think the success of a small layout like this is how it stands up without stock present, and so far I feel the project captures the Scottish highland setting. I particularly like how the back-scene I’ve crafted from photos of Skye take the eye to the distance and instil a sense of longing. I’ve stood on this platform and I’ve walked these hills, the sense of awe, wonder and a sense of our humble size in the world. 


Welcome to Lochdubh, gate way to the outer Hebrides, our hearts and nostalgia. 
Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.



Comments