Dyfrdwy Tramway: Sunday running…

The wonderful thing about the tramway is how out of all the railways I have made over my life it is the first that really feels real…


I’ve had a railway in the garden previously, and that was wonderful. The natural light, the real maintenance of ballast and the stolen backscenes, but the trains were more toy like. The whole thing felt and was treated like a giant trainset - and all the better for it - many hours of fun with modifying LGB items to run on it, and playing with it on my own, with the kids and with a good friend, Tim.

 
 

However the tramway isn’t a toy, the trains are big and have real character. The track and scenery both feel scale and yet blend with the garden. It is a railway with a sense of purpose, and a character all of its own. I love looking at it, I love working on it and I love running trains. Here my Hudson Hunslet propels a gunpowder wagon and a pair of slab wagons up from the wharf to the slab mill.


A lovely way to spend an hour or so and a good test of the line following maintenance last week, overcast and cooler than the week previous, sitting on the lawn and watching the narrow train navigate the undulating twisting line along the dedicated right of way. Hopefully the start of many more running sessions, perhaps even some visitors. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments