009 'Ffesty': Neither Van 4 nor Carriage 11...

My recent wanderings in 009 have led to the first of my own modelling in this scale for many years, assembly and finishing of a Dundas kit...


This 'Festiniog'ish kit has shades of carriage 11 but is somewhat caricatured. I've taken inspiration from the late 1950s period and included window bars and the drop lights are body coloured, but otherwise she is built as per the instructions without problem or fuss, a neat, sharp and attractive kit.



Seen here in primer you can appreciate how well a plastic kit can go together when you take care in preparing each part. This doesn't just mean cutting things out neatly, but understanding the assembly, which surfaces are mating and ensuring there is no flash around window openings and details. 

 

Painting makes or breaks a model and there is no excuse for a brush painted finish in anything smaller than 16mm. Firing up the airbrush takes little time really and the results are so much finer than can be achieved with brush. The model was primed grey, then white, then I applied Humbrol 41 ivory to the upper body sides and end windows. This was masked before a custom mix of Humbrol 3 and Humbrol 195 applied to the rest of the bodywork. I find Humbrol 3 on it's own struggles to cover well in one fine coat so the satin dark green adds some depth to the finish. Masked again and the satin black under frame was painted and the end treated to a coat of red. Once dry I picked out the door handles in black and the planked walkway end with a brush. Decals applied and sealed with a satin laquer, glazing cut to size and fitted and a dark grey paint applied to the roof before gluing in place. The finishing touches are the brake hoses which were spares from a Fourdees kit.


The result isn't Carriage 11 but is definitely Ffestiniog. I can't wait to share more of the 009 projects I have here on the bench in the coming weeks as thoughts of my own Boston Lodge halt project fuel some narrow gauge creativity. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments