Headspace through kits (Ffestiniog 009 Van 1)...

Sometimes a kit doesn't need to be complicated, expensive, or super detailed to offer a great deal of satisfaction. This simple Dundas model has given me a great deal of pleasure and covered all the bases for me...


My Ffestiniog project is set in the late 1950s / early 1960s, in these early 'preservation' days the revivalists pressed van 6 back into traffic for works trains, numbered van 1 - this vehicle sadly saw out its days as a line side hut at Dduallt before being scrapped. A replica has since been built. Ffestipedia turned up some wonderful photos of van 1 in the early 1960s and so I decided to use the Dundas kit to create a specific model based in this period.


The plastic kit falls together - but does reward careful prep as the tooling is old and so there was a little flash to clean up. For many this would be it, but I wanted to add specific details for the period - so studying the photos a sole bar and window-sill were added to each side, and wooden bars across the end windows. I also upped the finesse by using some fine wire for corner handles and added Fourdees brake hoses to replace the white metal ones supplied. Once painted the glazing was cut to size, the end panes having off white bars drawn on the inside with a bow pen.


The model is yet to be weathered but was a quick enjoyable project. It combined research, craft and customisation. A combination I enjoy a great deal. When you look at projects for your own layout I'd encourage you to interrogate which elements you most enjoy and design the task to fulfil these wishes - you will find a much richer and immersive result, one that rewards your headspace as well as adding a meaningful model to the collection.

Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. I've built one, lovely kit but the glazing bars drove me to distraction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how many have been sold and made over the years?
      I thought the glazing bars would be a paint hence painting them on!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.