Commission: Ruston LBUs in 7/8ths…

So today I’m sharing a pair of the Ruston LB commissions, both LBU underground examples but neither identical to each other or any of the 3 previous LBU constructed…


The LBU is the underground variant of the late model Ruston, without cab and instead a distinctive exhaust conditioner balancing almost precariously over the rear buffer. Convoluted exhaust pipework keeping the driver’s feet warm and giving our model a very distinctive character. I love it’s diminutive size yet chunky and purposeful stance.

 


So whilst the example above sports two large weights and is 45mm gauge, the one below is a close match for my own prototype with a small weight at front and the frame extensions required for the chain drive to sit outboard of the wheels on this 32mm example, just like the prototype.

 


These models are multimedia modern scratchbuilds. They combine the art of the craftsman with techniques such as etching, 3D printing and laser cutting. That means I can achieve a fairly consistent and realistic finish across a batch of models whilst ensuring each and every piece has a big chunk if my personality in its creation. I love building large scale models, for the sheer variety of prototypes to the wealth of detail to include, if you’ve got a particular prototype you’d like me to build do get in touch for a personal proposal. The same methods I use on batch builds I can bring to bear on your own model and my proven drivetrain design and knowledge of control and sound system options mean we can develop a proposal that not only meets your budget but also lights your imagination. In the meantime, enjoy these photos and day dream of what we could build together, until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments