Commission: Fourdees Barns in 009…

We're on a roll with Ffestiniog modelling at the moment - today's blog share a mammoth commission, painting and assembling SIX 'barns' from Fourdees in 009...


These kits are not as straight forward as they first appear. Being long and printed in resin there is a little warping in the parts that requires adjustment. The roofs in particular are a problematic fit too - but taking your time and painting things before assembly makes the work predictable and repeatable - important when building 6 carriages!

 


The result is an impressive rake for sure - but you'll need a big layout to run them on. Whilst I like the concept of these models I wonder if etched metal sides around a 3D printed roof and seating core might be a better solution, allowing both materials to work to their strengths? Either way, Dan is commended for the design and attention to detail - as well as for bringing these distinctive models to market - we all owe him a big thank you for pushing the art of what's possible in 009 forwards. 

If you'd like me to build and finish Fourdees kits then get in touch for a no obligation fixed price proposal. Whether it's a locomotive or carriage set I can offer a complete service even sourcing all parts. You become part of the project by working with me to choose details and specify colour, finish etc as we look for reference photos and discuss how they work with the rest of your layout. You can reach me on the contact form in the menu here, email (via my Facebook page) or the forums. Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments