Trainspotting: Crewe Heritage Centre…

When you head back somewhere it’s usually an indication that you enjoyed visiting the first time. That was definitely the case with the Crewe Heritage Centre…


Our second visit at the weekend was a lovely sunny autumn day but just after the storm last week so we had a terrible time getting across Crewe with the Tesco roundabout flooded and 4 way lights being in operation. Nevertheless it was worth it, my son and I spending a few hours watching the mainline and enjoying the exhibits in the sunshine.



The Europhoenix liveried Class 91 has been repainted in Swallow, and funnily enough, my comment about a Class 90 to complete the set, there was a 90 outside the workshop in tired Freightliner grey, it will be interesting to see what happens to that! Out on the mainline a procession of boring Pendolino and a few Northern surfaces behind older 323 and newer CAF units. Unusually and to break up the Pendolino parade a Direct Rail Services 66 rolled through the station with an intermodal (yawn) rather than under the by-pass tunnel. The lack of variety a little boring for this veteran of trainspotting in the 90s but still fuelling my 11 year olds passion for trains!




After a bite to eat and more trains it was nice to see a steam locomotive tucked up inside the heritage centre museum building and the model railway working too, all in all an enjoyable few hours and we’ll definitely be back in 2024.


Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. A trip to Crewe used to be a real highlight of my summer holiday when visiting family in the Midlands back in the late 80s and early 90s. I first visited the Heritage Centre the week after it first opened and would drop in from time to time after that, but it was time spent wandering around the station itself that was always so interesting. The sheer variety of electric and diesel traction to be seen was such a massive contrast to the EMU dominated railway scene back home in the south. Sounds like it wouldn't hold my interest for long nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, good to hear from you. Indeed Crewe feels, as a lot of the railway does to me, a pale reflection of years ago for the enthusiast of locomotives, but I suppose units have their fans. I love 150 sprinters of all things!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.