Mosslanda: Details tell the story...

Building a model and telling the story is always helped by selecting and focusing on the right details...


Although there is a long way to go with Wrecsam Canolog as I'm working back to front it means I can 'skip to the end' and consider ways to really make it obvious what I'm recreating here in miniature. The story though isn't just the station - it's the location and it's place in the town as well as socially and politically in the region. I toyed with a Transport for Wales branding but that felt a little too 'forward looking' and positive compared to the scenes I felt I witnessed at the station. A photo on Geography shows a rusty old Arriva Trains Wales branded sign and it is this that I chose to apply in this context. Designed on my Mac and printed by my decal supplier these were applied to pre-rusted thin styrene and mounted on square section 'posts', sealed with a satin lacquer. Set against the washed out background and patchy wooden fence it tells the story I want to tell, and as the layout progresses I hope that becomes easier for you to read.

 

At the other end, a lot of this platform and station building will be darkened by the platform canopy (which really must be the next thing I tackle in terms of etch design). This end of the station shows more clearly the space provided for a future second platform, and the end of the bay with its metal protective fencing. I have used some from N brass in this location and rather than painting it black I will go for a dark grey, a subtle choice but one that softens the impact slightly, allowing it to feel part of the scene rather than jumping out in your face. Model making in this context is not about a perfect replica, rather an artistic interpretation of reality to support the overall piece.


Despite it's small size and limited scope this layout continues to provide a muse for me, I see it most days when pausing away from the bench, and considering what is next is a nice little distraction and mental reset. Perhaps such a project could find a home in your workspace? Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments