Wet windy wonderful Ffestiniog…

Many of you will have visited Bygones this weekend, but these photos are more humdrum and every day and were taken a few weekends ago when I just needed some space to think...


A trip out to Porthmadog is a good way to clear my head - the drive helps, obviously - as does the bracing sea air but most of all, the Ffestiniog never fails to deliver. I arrived to find the station pretty dead but a visit to the shop (I bought ANOTHER book) and Spooners (coffee and cake to top up my pack lunch) and I sat down under the shelter of the canopy to wait and see what happened.


About 15 minutes later Lyd appeared with a train - presumably a Woodland Wanderer although I wasn't paying attention. The moody sky casting a characterful light over the train as the rain stopped briefly and I wandered down to the head shunt to watch her fuelled and watered.

A steam engine is a living animal, and whilst I love diesels (and possibly prefer them in some ways - nostalgia and my childhood playing a big part I expect) there is a wonderful magic about fire and the way it's contained and focused on board a steam engine, like we've captured and harnessed it's energy, a wild horse broken and now our faithful (and powerful) servant.


I watched the crew working hard to top up Lyd's coal bunkers - a hard and slow job, passing the buckets over the boiler. Commitment and passion fuelling the fire of these hardy volunteers on this wet and windy afternoon.


As I turned for home, one last glimpse at a train, waiting for it's engine in the station. The calmness of the scene and the peace I find on and around trains is something in recent times I've again come to appreciate as an important 'self care' part of my well being. Yes I enjoy train rides, but it's more than that, it's a balm for my otherwise busy mind.


Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments