Commission: Ffesty Four-dees pair…

This pair of Four-dees carriages are part of Dan's recent release of kits covering a wide range of Ffestiniog products. I was asked to finish them to a relatively basic standard but keeping things clean and crisp...


The kits are 3D printed in high resolution resin and consist of a chassis/seat track, body including ends and roof along with seperate bogies and detail parts. The idea is sound, but I found the roofs tricky to fit without gaps and the bodies were a little deformed. I followed Dan's advise and warming them improved matters slightly, certainly acceptable for a layout model, but I wonder if the length of these models means they will always be prone to deformation through the printing process?

 

The kits provide a rendition of the carriages as they appear today so I based the green and ivory paint scheme on current photographs. A simple crest on each side keeps the finish basic but smart. Window drop lights were picked out in pale wood whilst the interiors were painted dark brown. Door handles provide a little relief and as per the prototype are black.

 

The inner ends are painted red, all of the colours used were out of the tin Humbrol enamels (Ivory 41, green 3, black 85, grey 27 and red brown 100) to allow my customer to touch them up if ever required. Masking around the buckets and the brake compartment doors was a pain, but the results are crisp, certainly at layout distances.

 
 

I am happy to provide a fixed price proposal for you if you'd like me to assemble and finish other Four-dees kits from Dan's range. I've learnt a lot on the Peckett's I did earlier this year and now these carriages - and with 6 Barns in the works here I'm fairly confident in the work required. Let me know and get in touch using the form here, Facebook or the forums. Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments