Frivolous Ffestiniog: Billy no mates in 009…

Two puns in one blog title, now we’re talking! In the new world of ready to run 009 most layouts have less creativity or historical accuracy and so starting a project where it’s difficult to see how the issues of scale and space can be easily balanced feels frivolous…


A recent commission has re-awakened my interest in the scale from a reasonably lengthy slumber. If I’m honest it was the influx of new box openers had taken the shine off the scale, combined with me moving house a good few years ago and not seeing a good friend, Charlie, who also modelled in the scale as frequently. That said, I’ve always loved the Ffestiniog, more, Linda - and with the Michael Whitehouse albums the idea of doing something ‘prototypical’ and against the tide has appealed for some time, so it didn’t take much for Ben to warm me up to the idea of trying out this rabbit hole for size.

Ben who? Ben and I had struck up conversation around me working on some Fourdees carriages for his fledgling project, but meeting in person (he dropped them off with me at the Llangollen diesel gala a few weeks ago) the creative energy flowed and it took less than 24 hours for me to order a green Prince and some kits!

Meanwhile, one element of our conversation was on repeat in my head… the balance of fitting long trains in big stations into a small space - the answer? Closely cropped.


The second pun - Billy as a reference to the IKEA shelf system. If we’re talking closely cropped scenes in a cameo box how could these be stored/displayed in a modern home? The Billy book case, a real classic (I had them in my bedroom as a teenager!) could comfortably house three scenes with a display board tucked down the back with a circle of track on - meaning longer trains don’t need to fit in the scene, they can run just run through.


This ‘box’ format could be somewhat modular too, allowing friends to operate together or to take bits to a show and use cassettes to create a long thin layout. For me the opportunity to build a cameo was too much temptation, Prince was followed by Linda and a scheme to model Boston Lodge halt and run trains inspired by early preservation (1958-63). The chance to put my hand to something less frivolous perhaps, not a flight of fancy but a caricature, perhaps even an artist impression of the prototype.

Whilst these sketches were not a commission as such, good news is that Ben is so taken with the ‘Billy’ concept that we’re doing that on commission too - so this winter I’ll not only be building Leatown, but the old engine sheds at Pen Cob / Boston Lodge alongside a myriad of my own home layouts. It’s going to be great fun seeing how this all comes together. In addition I’m assembling a series of Dundas kits for my own collection (inaccurate yes, but of the character) as well as a rake of barns for Ben. It’s going to go all narrow gauge here for a while - but the N and H0 will keep me honest, I’m sure, providing both solace and skill practice in equal measures. If you have a project you’d like some help with maybe we can work out just what you need and I can help make the dream a reality? Get in touch using the contact form here in the means or via email from Facebook (link on the commissions menu). Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Very much with you on the "shine" going off 009. Seems to be a lot of "why isn't that available ready to run, I want it RIGHT NOW" going on. I've passed most of my unbuilt and RTR 009 to the Society Sales Stand, the only exceptions being things that won't be easy to replace...I'll keep most of the stuff I've actually built. I like the idea of a common loop with interchangeable scenes, and as you say, the possibility to link modules for use at meetings or shows is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, good to hear from you. I think there are a few of us who feel the same, however, wait until you see what I’ve done with Linda! Proper modelling!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.