Gerald Road: Fancy a pint?

I was talking with a good friend James last week about how I felt guilty I'd not done much on Gerald Road for a few weeks. That reflection was good, because it gave me the chance to recognise the emotion and let it go - as it could have festered and created a negative feeling towards the project...


Instead by acknowledging the feeling I felt much more positive and the result was I dug out the photo of the pub that had inspired me early in the project, did some guesstimate measuring and drew up a 'scale' drawing (funnily enough it wasn't far off the 'Paddington' style approximation!) and quickly transferred this to 30thou styrene.  


The beauty of N structures is how quickly they go together. Yes, you have to be neat - but really, you have to be neat in all scales. 30thou is a good thickness too, it's easy to work with, in larger scales would be too flimsy but in N is more than sufficient. I was in two minds about this building as it came together though - I've modified the real building - the extension on the right in reality was a flat roof, with an extension behind with a pitched roof - instead I've combined the elements in an interesting roofline - once painted I hope it feels more natural and evolved rather than quirky. The roof tiles were another experiment - in Bristol a lot of the roofs, especially those I remember near my Nan's house, had terracotta tiles. The pub was no exception so flat slate style courses wouldn't work and corrugated 4mm styrene too deep... but if I combined the two it might work well - so I applied paper strips over the styrene and pushed it down firmly with PVA glue - the result is a subtly undulating surface with the 'courses' provided by the overlapped paper strips. Subtle but noticeable. 

 

With the bulk of the structure made I will look to do the warehouse across the road (next to the cars) next before progressing further with finishing - the result should be the two 'show case' structures that are more consistent in finish, colour and detail worked on in parallel, then if I did them in series! I suppose there are two lessons here - one, it's ok to verbalise your emotions to friends and second, to push yourself a little with every project. It maintains interest and keeps you moving forwards. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. A tip I'd pass on is to use 1mm squared graph paper for tiles and other roofing surfaces. The markings make it dead easy to cut accurately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve read this tip before, in N I don’t bother with the vertical cuts, just using horizontal strips and it’s very effective.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.