A journey through Cwm Prysor…

A few weeks ago I introduced the Bala branch, my feelings towards it and exploring different ways to bringing it to life in a miniaturisation. I closed with thoughts of a potential cameo layout presentation…

set 6 wet
Photo: Dave’s archive (embedded via Flickr: https://flic.kr/p/2avM5GF)

Anyone familiar with the area will both recognise the bleak beauty of the moors around Arenig and the sad story of a drowned valley. Every time I drive to Ffestiniog I have the same saudade, the feeling of loss and a sense that it will never be again. Loss greater than the railway, as if its abandoned route is a scar to remind us of the greater loss that occurred for the people of Capel Celyn. That feeling almost saturates the moor for me, and I am certain it would fuel a distinctive feeling on any project.


I have settled upon Cwm Prysor. I recognise that Tom Foster has previously used the station for his own muse, and if you’re not familiar with Tom’s wonderful work then it’s genesis is described on RMweb. Whilst Tom created a wide vista I have instead closely cropped the station area and have put the structures and platform at the rear, so that the land drops subtlety behind the track bed. This, in a small cameo, aids the transition between scenery and back drop - and as important for me in this case, doesn’t hide the wheels of the locomotive. The above could work as a compressed version in OO in about 4ft but in my heart I felt this was an N gauge project, the quality of today’s Dapol 57xx and Farish 64xx (to convert to a 74) do, to some extent, facilitate such an approach. 

Some time ago Chris mentioned that, from across the Atlantic at least, my small cameo and box layouts feel seperate parts of the same branchline. That is a lovely thought, but more, perhaps a glimmer of hope, a seed of an idea - that through a series of these ‘cameo’ scenes we could have the larger longer branch-line we desire? Iain Rice shared a concept in his Kalmbach shelf layouts book, a series of scenes on a wall with a cassette system that allowed a train to move between the scenes, carrying on its journey but along a single section of wall? 

More, I sent a copy of the D.W. Southern book to Chris. I wanted to share my connection with the railway through the pages of a book we now both own:

I have been reading and simply enjoying the Bala book. It’s such a good thing. Thank you.  

It amazes me: this railway feels almost in your back yard? I keep seeing references to places you go regularly. I imagine this all being much further apart but it appears to be almost, comparatively, in very close proximity. As you suggested, while studying Cwm Prysor, I was surprised to see how the station was so close to the water and it made me wish for a layout that had an expanse of water in its background instead of along the front edge as we are so often tempted.

Beyond the track plan, this has become both a local and personal story. I have an indirect connection to the branch (my partners great Uncle was a fireman at Trawsfynydd), I follow its route whenever I visit the Ffestiniog, I have explored its remains, I love Panniers. Starting a layout such as this would be both deeply emotional and incredibly rewarding. However, as regular readers will know, my head is more likely to trump the heart, and I really don’t need any more projects, perhaps then, this could be one for you?

Until next time, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.


Comments

  1. I somehow wasn't aware of the D.W. Southern book...instead, I bought the Lightmoor Press book on the Bala Branch. It was just after the first lockdown, unusually I'd driven up to camp at Welshpool...went for a ride on the Bala Lake Railway, bought the book, and spent much of the rest of the (very wet, even for Wales) weekend sat in the car reading it from cover to cover! It really was an amazing line, and perhaps the weather contributed to the impact the book had on me. I had seen a few photos of it previously in various books, but hadn't thought of it as a subject for a model, perhaps due to the wide open scenery.
    Your presentation of the line is certainly food for thought, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you get more time up here again Simon I’ll take you on a tour of the remains, it’s quite a moving sort of place when you let what has happened sort of permeate a little. Add the moody scenery and frequent Welsh sunshine and it has bags of atmosphere. Hope you’re well, best James

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.