Friday Update: Two Eight Twenty-four…

A holiday week with much reduced model train content so you'll have to make do with a series of snapshots and stories from my travels in the last 7 days...


In no particular order we'll start with Tuesday and an afternoon trip on the Woodland Wanderer with the family. We requested the toast rack and were delighted to have it reserved for us, it is a wonderful way to travel and although it meant we didn't take Bronwen (our miniature Dachshund) with us, it did mean the girls enjoyed the freedom of open sides and big views - lovely weather, lovely stuff and fish and chips for dinner too - from Allports of course, I felt very lucky.


 

The Gwili Railway at Carmarthen runs over around 5 miles of the former Carmarthen to Aberystwyth line, within reaching distance of the first halt on the line north of Bronwydd Arms, Conwil. Our trip on Sunday was from Pembrokeshire whilst I was visiting my Mum. I'd not travelled on the railway for a few years and I felt that whilst the new shed and car park at Abergwili Junction are a big achievement the general fabric of the line has become a little neglected. We were not travelling at 25mph, that's for sure, and the right of way was a sea of green with weed and bramble growth. Staff very welcoming and friendly though, and the 64xx Pannier sounded lovely in the valley - the river side journey quite magical really - and if we didn't have the Llangollen on our door step I'd probably be singing its praises more highly as a scenic run. Certainly worth at least one visit if you're ever passing - I do hope they can build on the success of the new station as a solid foundation for further improvements along the existing line before considering extension.


I mentioned Pembrokeshire, a lovely few days over last weekend spent down on the northern coast. Wall to wall blue sky, blue sea, lush green and rocky cliffs - all my kind of holiday. Lovely stuff. 


Wednesday this week and my son and I walked down to the village station to watch the DMU service arrive from Llangollen - it's been a real scorcher over the past few days, this was the first day really of the building heat. The Class 108 is back out after inspection and seen here paired with the 109 (Wickham), back to two mechanical units. Speaking of the Llangollen...


Thursday saw the DMU service switched with a loco hauled one, 5310, back from it's holiday at the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway did the honours and it is lovely to see (and hear) her back in the valley. My son and I were invited up to the signal box at Glyndyfrdwy to watch the last train of the day, always a bit of a treat, and kindly allowed to take a few photos from the window of the train.

Terry Pickthall photo.

It has been a busy week not working (apart from responding to emails and commission requests) but hopefully next week will see a balance change to allow some progress on customer work. It is the 60s gala (groan) this weekend on the railway, but I will be around taking photos no doubt - I hope you all have a good weekend. Until next time though, more soon...

One final thing actually - I still have a few things for sale...

FOR SALE - Festiniog Scenes through the Sixties (Evans) - £8 plus postage (RRP £15)

FOR SALE - Mosslanda display REDUCED to £100 (excludes the shelf itself) plus postage

If you're interested in either item get in touch. For now though, until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Looks like t you had a good holiday week . Getting away from the day job for a few days is always important and helps recharge the batteries. I am sure the family enjoyed that too and seems as if you has some railway stimulation to take into the new "working" week

    Best regards
    Alan

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.