Freight Only: Lucky catch…

Discovered prints, always a delight. In the dying days of British Rail there remained a number of ‘Freight Only’ branch lines…


I used to live not far from one of these quiet by-ways. I saw the decline after the cessation of passenger service, quite late, in the 1970s. However the cement works on the line meant the infrastructure was maintained as a freight only branch line, with a guard to operate the occupation crossing gates on route and slow speed it was quite easy to get out and follow it.


However what is shown here are just a few quick photographs taken whilst I was out walking the dog, 31154 with a varied train of PCAs for the Blue Circle works.

Whilst this cement working was timetabled it typically didn’t run, so more often than not I would return without a photo - however, I had already learnt that it’s always worth taking the camera with me, what is here today is gone tomorrow.


Today’s fiction is brought to you courtesy of Graham Farish and Pont Dulas! No branchlines were harmed in the creation of this post. As the sun shines through the window here in North Wales, the dog snores and I type this, I have a copy of ‘Freight Only’ by Michael Rhodes and Paul Shannon sat waiting to be enjoyed. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James
    Hope you are enjoying the weekend and that the railway in valley is providing background inspiration. Must be good to live and work with that nearby?

    I am always inspired by the way you can use your cameos to be almost “anywhere GB” and the cement train is no exception. I think I have said once before that a branch serving a cement works, whether the plant itself is modelled or not, would make a good model railway. The level of traffic in and out of the works (without any potential internal traffic) would seem to meet our requirements for operations more than the typical “GWR branch terminus” and they are often in bucolic surroundings. If I were still in 00n4 and given the availability of industrial locos now I would have been tempted/ probably be building just such a freight branch. However I might have concentrated on say the Barrington Light Railway near Cambridge or the ex-Earle’s branch into Hope works in Derbyshire.

    I also enjoyed the travelling’s of HMLX 5606. It must be good to see stock performing on different sides of the pond.
    I have found viewing your recent videos interesting and the discussion with George Williamson was especially so, covering as it did the themes in your books and on the blog. Look forward to more
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and we’ve covered Barrington in one of your visit reports here previously IIRC!

      Delete
  2. Terrific! Love getting lost in these stories and cameos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello James, you can literally put yourself in the scene and watch the goings-on, just like in the original. It's only a short moment on the real train when a train slowly passes you by. Nevertheless, it is precisely these moments that everyone remembers and make the model scenes so lively. Thank you for your great posts and photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ulli, yes just a moment but with us much longer.

      Delete
    2. Yes it is very much like those fleeting views of passing trains. However one of the many reasons I liked/like industrial railways is that there is always the expectation a train will return or even that you can see the train and its destination.
      Best regards
      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.