Friday Update: Sixteen Eight Twenty-four…

Welcome to another Friday Update and with work focused upon a single project and a few days away in Cardiff this will be a little shorter than last week - but some big news, so read on…


Model Railway Companion is now available!

Yes the wait is over, £14.50 of your English pounds will get you 80 pages of inspiring model railways from around the world, in Simon (my publishers) words rather than my own “An indulgently illustrated collection of a wide ranging selection of model railways, each accompanied with limited words from their creators that seek to "distil the essence" of what each creation is about.”.

You will be able to find a copy in many good railway book shops, but if you’re desperate to order a copy then ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ have stock. Why not consider adding one of my other Wild Swan favourites, that started me off all those years ago too? ‘The Art of Weathering’ by Martyn Welch is still a classic!


Meanwhile, as I mention, work has focused upon the latest layout commission that now sports a backscene and some more structures. The first greenery should be added today, which always makes things feel more complete than they are - for there are a few specific details I’ll need to scratch build towards the end of this project. The cameo box yet again shows its benefit here in framing the view beautifully, the small buildings offering great photo angles around and between. I’ve got a few other layout design commissions in hand at present, which is always a nice balance between physical and conceptual work - alongside the ‘fourth’ book that won’t write itself!


I’ve also enjoyed working on a few of my own models, but nothing finished to show yet. The Class 24 now has both sides and ends with the basic wash - just the roof before I can move on to the next stage. The pub and smaller office warehouse have had their wall textures applied, but there are a few details to finalise on these before I can begin to add doors and windows. However, Beaverbrook (top) continues to delight in operation - even if all this play is delaying more work on the structures for this larger layout!

Thank you for the continued support here reading the blog. As the disclaimer always says, there will never be any adverts or restrictions. That said support you can offer, even just watching the adverts on my a YouTube channel, is all very welcome and helps keep the lights on. I hope you have had a good week and a relaxing few days over the weekend are planned, I’m hoping to cut the wood for Gerald Road, weather permitting which will be a good milestone and one to push me forwards with this smaller nostalgic N scale cameo. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Ordered "Model Railway Companion" yesterday from Titfield Thunderbolt. Looking forward to receiving it !!

    That BCRail unit on Beaverbrook looks very smart. The 3000 miles to the Maritimes has not damaged the paint ( another lease unit?)

    Have a good weekend

    Best Regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, thank you Alan. If it is well received Simon and I might try and do another one in 6-12 months time…

      The CRS20 is on loan, for evaluation purposes ahead of the Terra Transport RS18c rebuild program.

      Delete
  2. Hi James....loving your work as always. Can I pester you for a step by step how I build my cameo box when you have time please! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clive - I’m afraid that will be in the fourth book - so look out for that next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.