Almost Gerald Road...

It's funny, I don't like making structures but I seem to have made a habit of it in recent times - and this, the latest, is perhaps one of the more elaborate - yet not my finest...


First of all - kindly remember this is N gauge! Whilst I've been practicing making these tiny structures neater and neater this is the most complex yet with its roof shape and slight softening of the roof angle towards the lower edge. Note also that it's a caricature of its prototype, to fit the location - and contains a few avoidable errors that I will put down to its melancholic subject.


Those elements aside, what I do hope it it has bags of character. I've set it up at the back of the composition where you'll only be able to get oblique or framed slices of it through the level crossing or around the back of the office/factory and it looks the part. The window frames are a touch heavy in places and I could have done a slightly better job of the curved brick inserts above the larder windows, but otherwise, she's not bad! The net curtains are passable at a distance and the only thing remaining is the back doors!

So this is Gerald Road. This semi, its character, the painted window sills included are a memory of my Dad's childhood home in Bristol and the summer visits we used to make to see my Nan. I will blame that nostalgia for the character (and errors) in her construction.

I have built structures on commission in the past - and they can be included in wider layout builds too - if you have something you'd like to realise in miniature do get in touch and we can discuss your requirements so I can prepare a fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Well I don't know what your issues are as that structure looks very good to me even when "blown up" from N to almost H0. If you are concerned then I am sure when it is in situ the model environment will offset any perceived blemishes

    I also think you are doing yourself a disservice by saying the model is a caricature. To me that would mean overemphasising features and that does not seem the case here- rather I think it is a impressionist take on the real thing.

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan, yes perhaps impressionist is a kinder description. I’m happy enough with it, but as always, strive to improve I suppose.

      Delete
  2. I think that's a very nice looking building. I noticed how well the brick matches at the corners of the building. Your interest in N gauge is contagious and has me thinking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom the key to N is neatness. Brick alignment on corners is more important than the pattern or size of the bricks. I also usually nick the brick courses, but didn’t do the main walls of the house because I remember these being incredibly ‘sharp’ with very little gap between each brick. I’m glad N is contagious!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.