Renfrew retrospective...

Four years on from Renfrew, working through design to physical realisation alongside my customer was an absolute delight. A perfectly formed cameo, driven by an emotive memory of 70s spotting days around Glasgow, it is not often that a commission can be so collaborative despite the physical barrier of a few hundred miles...

The last photo I took of Renfrew before initial delivery, the 05 at the old platform. Photo James Hilton.

The same model on the headshunt, the old truncated branch that ran down to a wharf alongside the Clyde. Photo David Murray.


"I’m really settled with Renfrew in the blue era - just how the original idea of a spotting trip with the lads to Glasgow in ‘78/79 was conceived. Rationalisation of traffic flows (how 70s!) means scrap and household coal are the only two commodities Renfrew handles these days. Consequently, apart from the odd van or Presflo destined for sidings elsewhere on the branch, the local wagon diet is one of endless mineral wagons. Not only does this seem more realistic and less contrived it actually increases the ‘play-value’. The WMS (Wagon Management System) and layout of (on stage and off stage) sidings work in such a way that the more minerals we receive the more shunting is required".

David continues to enjoy Renfrew and over the years since its realisation I have worked with him on countless locomotive and rolling stock projects as the project has evolved and the story becomes clearer. Through each iteration I see in David a sense of contentment with the project that I feel with Beaverbrook. The right prototype, the right layout in the right space. I'm not sure, but I hope this was through the layout design process, and because of that distillation of David's own story we were able to build something that despite it's relative simplicity has stood the test of time.

If you would like to work with me on your own project the Layout Design Process now starts from £180. We work through a series of questions and reflections to create a plan that really resonates for you in the space you have available - and from that I can prepare, if requested, a fixed price proposal for a layout build. I have some limited capacity for layout design this year with a view to builds in 2025.

You can contact me using the form on the menu here, or via my Facebook page or the forums. In the meantime, I hope you've enjoyed this look back at Renfrew. For more on that project and the models that follow you can use the 'Renfrew' label to search. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Lovely weedy track James. It must be good to catch up with layout commissions you have completed in the past. I had a cab ride in the 05 on the Isle of Wight a few years ago. They have a slightly more complicated gear change thange than the 03 and therefore not as easy to use for everyday shunting. The narrow door didn't help either! The 05 on the Isle of Wight is named Nuclear Fred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those doors were renowned for being incredibly narrow weren’t they, and you’re right, I love the grass on this model. It was a lovely layout to work on with David.

      Delete
  2. That lead image is simply amazing modeling work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I really did love this layout we built.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.