Model Railway Companion…

If you’ve somehow missed it, my latest book ‘Model Railway Companion’ is now available. Published by Wild Swan it is 80 pages celebrating the inspiration found through great railway modelling…


Prototypes from around the world in a variety of scales and gauges, work from names including Floris Dilz, Simon Glidewell, Matthieu Lachance, Paul Marshall-Potter, Brian McCulloch, Lance Mindheim, Wieger Pasman and George Williamson - oh and myself.

This isn’t a book heavy on description of technique, rather it’s a celebration of the art of model railways. Each artist introduces their work with stories and experience, the photos are presented as large as possible and do the majority of the story telling. 

It is the first book I’ve created that I can read and enjoy - because of the content provided by others - I haven’t read it to death during production, instead it is following me around the house, being enjoyed in the odd moments between work or over coffee, lovely stuff.

Early feedback seems very positive, if you have a copy I’d love to hear whether you think we should do another - if you haven’t a copy I hope the above helps you decide if you want one… available from all good railway bookshops including The Titfield Thunderbolt, Bill Hudson and Rail-books

https://www.titfield.co.uk/Books/Painting-Finishing-Layout-Planning-det.htm#5667

https://www.billhudsontransportbooks.co.uk/bhtb/bh16854/model-railway-companion/

https://rail-books.co.uk/products/model-railway-companion-9781912038556

Thank you for all the support, until next time though, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James
    I think I may have been an early purchaser of the book and when I posted earlier had just skim read it. I have now had the opportunity to read it properly and take my time with the text, photos and plans.

    It is even better having had the time and I would say to anyone go out and get a copy. The text compliments each other even if the authors have different starting points, and there is much to learn from you and them.

    Some readers might find the lack of captions to the photos maybe disappointing. However my son is a photographer whose has published a number of books and when I asked him why there were no captions to his photos he said “It enabled the reader to make their own connections and stories from the photos” – I think your book does that well

    Congratulations to you and to Wild Swan for the production

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan - my first review, thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it - please do let as many folk know about it as possible as Simon has done little publicity yet. Thanks as always!

      Delete
  2. Morning James. My copy of your book was waiting for me when I arrived home from work last night. It was worth the wait! It's a great mix of old friends (Paxton Road, Lochdubh) and new ones (Le Bassin). The standard of modelling is phenomenal and every photo oozes with atmosphere. I agree with Alan about captions, I feel I can enjoy the photos and form my own unbiased ideas from them. The photo of the class 31 on Ballast Quay was very dramatic. I love the urban and industrial french and Belgian modelling, it's gritty and superbly realistic. I used to live in Dunkerque in northern France in the late 90's and I was taken back to those times. Thank you for making this book, it's inspiring and compliments your two previous books, it grows the narrative further about atmosphere, ideas and creativity. Take care. P.S. Anything by Lance Mindheim is worth a look, I'm a long time fan of his work and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, that’s a very kind and enthusiastic review! I hope it continues to enthuse you in the coming weeks.

      Delete
  3. We should print that on the back, like they used to on paper backs with the newspaper reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.