Friday Update: Thirty Eight Twenty-four…

As you read this I will be on the rails again, making my way to Durham to see an old friend for the weekend - so whilst the inevitable travel post writes itself, lets take a look at the varied projects that have been my focus this week...


Not one but two layouts in this photo - and yes, the European HO scale scene does form the main focus in this picture (more on that below) but also of note, a small, tiny, simple N scale station. My good friend James is a little under the weather at present and his shelf layout is suffering from some electrical gremlins so I put this little scene together for him and hopefully, by the time you're all reading this, he will be shuttling a DMU up and down his desk! It's just Peco Code 55 track on an MDF sandwich base. The fiddle stick is held in place just by the rail joiners that are soldered onto the main layout (if you can call it that). It's intended as somewhere to run a train, nothing more... and in time might welcome some refinement, fencing, a better platform, a car park? Who knows - but for now, its a place that hopefully allows some R&R and a distraction from poor health.


The other project on the bench this week are the last four Dapol OO gauge MGR wagons in for back dating and weathering. The work, if you remember, involves removing the TOPS panels and replacing them with HOP AB markings along with weathering. I've been doing them in batches of four as they're just so big, but this brings my customers train to 20 wagons - which seems a good length behind his green Class 47. I hope to share a photo or two of the completed train when the time comes!


Back to the European layout and we're well on the home straight now - but there are some signature details I still have to finish off - one is this 'pipework' which has been scratchbuilt in styrene - the steps are from some Faller parts I had left over from Beaverbrook. This is just in primer, so needs painting and weathering, but it feels like the right sort of detail level for a background scenic item. Balancing realism and finesse on small layouts calls, in my opinion, for an artists hand - and one you learn from experience.


Earlier this year I created the first Compendium. This was a self published magazine, and from 'The Books' section of my website I'll quote:
The Compendium is a 40 page collection of thoughts and ideas, a series of modelling essays. A safe place to escape the digital monolith, tactile and grounding. Not quite a greatest hits, not a regular magazine but somewhere to put meaningful ideas, as much for myself as to share with you all.

I have started work on its follow up - still titled Compendium - but a second series of modelling reflections:
A collection of material taken from my more recent writing and I feel tells a story of my relationship with model railways as well as reflections on my own mental health and how it has helped nurture and guide me through some challenging times - indulgently illustrated with my own modelling. As with the first it is hoped you will find it a safe place to escape the digital monolith, enjoying its tactile nature and finding the experience grounding. The format will be the same as the first - perfect bound magazine with 40 pages, art paper with card covers. 

This will be available towards the end of the year - and I've decided to limit the production run - initially I thought 100, then 50... the final number is likely to be somewhere towards the lower end of that range. Cost will be £15 in the UK, overseas postage at cost. Once the print run is finalised, that will be it - never to be repeated, reprinted, or available elsewhere. If you'd like to reserve a copy you can get in touch - I need your email address and postage address for now, I will then be in touch to collect payment nearer the time.


Last weekend I made my way to Carrog on the bike - it was a mixed day, weather wise, quite overcast but occasional moments of sunshine - not too hot on the bike, and good to get out. At Carrog the scaffolding is down on the signal box which is looking much neater - and neat to see the Swallows nesting in the eaves. I grabbed this detail shot of one corner, framed against a moment of blue sky.


This photo was taken on the 'big' camera. Framed by the tree and the shadows, the sun just picking out the signal box and locomotive as the big GWR heavy freight locomotive simmers on the 5 coach train. It is wonderful to live alongside the railway, however you do begin to take things for granted - and certainly, the non-literal shine has gone off seeing this huge locomotive back in steam! I'd love to see the Pannier out and about again.


Beaverbrook continues to entertain in the evenings, I enjoy ringing the changes by switching out stock and locomotives. One bright car continues to be seen in service with the usual HMLX cement cars though, this Hockley and Western example! Yellow proved to be very difficult to weather - and even toned right down this example is almost too bright for the layout.


I plucked up the courage to finish off the handrails for the GP11 project - these front ones especially were tricky as the stanchions have no 'holes' to plug into at the base - so aligning them was by eye. The model still needs the steps adding in the foot wells and then onto some primer. I'm not overly convinced by the size of the front cab windows on the print, but this is going to be tricky to remedy. Being a resin shell it is robust, but cutting this material can be brought with difficulty. I do have a Cannon and Co. cab that could be substituted - but is this going to be any better? I'd then have joints to fill along the base of the cab onto of the equipment boxes and around the shell at the long hood. I'll get some paint on and see how it looks!


About a fortnight ago I wrote about a pair of MGR hoppers I had spotted at Newport when visiting Cardiff a few weeks ago, and suggesting they would make an interesting modelling project. Well, after a beer or two one evening I decided to bite the bullet and a pair of EWS tagged examples from Farish arrived. The first step was to form a coal load, styrene and some filler saw to this - then I added real coal 'dust' from the coal bucket as a base to build up from. The 'saplings' are bits of 'Forest Canopy' left over in the box from a layout commission. These have been improved to hide any remaining seed heads. The bases were then drilled to accept these, and they were glued in. I used 'earth blend' fine turf from Woodland Scenics to add around the base and fill in any gaps on the trees - the 'loads' are now complete. Work will turn to the wagons - I intend to add the airbrake hoses, a representation of the couplings and some of the missing under frame detail before a heavy weathering - more on these, probably when they're finished.


I'll wrap things up here this week with a trip to the pub - not literally, but on Gerald Road Mk2. These structures for my latest N scale micro layout are being constructed and finished BEFORE I build the baseboard - the theory is, this layout succeeds or fails by the buildings and the character they imbue. If I build the track and get trains running it could be years before the layout is finished - if ever. By taking time out from the layout build ahead of construction to ensure these signature elements are ready to go I'm hoping to reach full enjoyment and completion on this personal and heartfelt project.

That said, there is still some way to go! One down, three in progress and a fifth yet to start. The pub shown here gained windows this week - as well as some nice cream paint on its rendered lower walls. The next step is the downstairs windows and front door - which require a little more scratch building. The prototype was called 'The Ship and Anchor' but I may well re-name it 'The Good Intent' after the local pub in the village I grew up - that will need a custom etched 'pub sign' designing - and I also want to get some TV aerials drawn up and etched for N gauge.

This weekend I'll be enjoying the north east, and hopefully a few train rides. If you see me out and about do say hello - otherwise, look out for the updates on that on social media and next week on the blog. I've got some material written for the weekend, so you'll not go without blogs though. I hope you have a good Friday and enjoy the rest of the weekend ahead - until next time, more soon...


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Looks like another productive week in spite of the normal "end of the school holidays and where is everything" stress

    I made too many trips to Durham when I was working for Arriva. Most however were to discuss budgets and financial performance with the main board so not great experiences. I used to enjoy the first class on east coast mainline going home!!! - well most of the time

    I imagine you will enjoy your day better and Durham is a nice city

    Please put me down for the next Compendium- - it looks great.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi James. Please reserve me a compendium too. I read the first one again only last week. It sits well with your new book. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drop me an email with your address and I’ll put you down, thanks!

      Delete
  3. I keep meaning to play around with small magnets for alignment of fiddlesticks, and also for removable backscenes to allow for different photo angles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve tried this before, and soldered wires to the magnets so they transmitted the power! Worked, but I didn’t persevere.

      Delete
  4. Great to see the HWRR car on Beaver Brook, the HSWR box car was one of the first cars to run on the as yet to be named HWRR layout. I am greatful for the encouragement you have given me to get started on the layout, I have spent a few minutes each day this week switching out cars and it has really fired my enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always glad to be a bad influence, sorry encouraging supporter!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.