Commission: Single wagon weathering…

Not every commission that graces the bench is hours of work - today I share a pair of Bachmann OO wagons, and whilst the 16t is mine (to go with the new 24) the steel bodied open is for a customer...


A 3 stage approach employed here on both wagons - starting with a wash (my usual favourite Humbrol enamels 33 and 98, mixed in varying quantities as work progresses) that is partially removed from the bodywork. Once dry I used the same colours to detail paint rust marks and damage to the bodywork - especially visible on the 16t mineral. The final step is airbrushed dirt and the 1 part 133, 1 part 245 to 2 part 27004 mix - this will need revising in future as both 133 and 245 are no longer available in the enamel range (sadly).


The results are pleasing - and happily sit as a centre piece whilst also being subtle enough to blend in with a wider scene or longer train. Whilst some prefer to use powder, others funny chemicals to braid and remove paint, I use the plastic model as a canvas and bring the work to life with additive paintwork. I use enamels because they are hard wearing and allow a degree of working before they go off - yet they don't take forever to dry - the best of both worlds perhaps, and certainly a medium I am very comfortable with.


If you have a model you'd like me to breathe life into I am happy to consider work from one wagon to a complete rake (and have done previously). Get in touch using the form on the website, or you can email me via the Facebook page (link on the Modelmaking Commissions tab here) where you don't need a Facebook account to do that. Until next time, more soon...




Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James. Excellent weathering, simple, but really effective. I haven't weathered any of my current n gauge stock as I made a right mess of a rake of CDA's years ago and haven't the courage to do it again. I'm hoping my order from Titfield Thunderbolt will be waiting for me when I get home. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the book. China clay weathering is tricky. I used a wash of 98/33 on the chassis of my Peco CDA, once dry a wash of 28 on the bodywork and when dry dusted with airbrush the same colour. I think they’re on the blog if you’ve not seen them. I ended up selling the China clay stock as I couldn’t see myself ever finishing a layout with them.

      Delete
  2. James thank you for the lovely weathering job on my Bachmann 13ton steel wagon above. I will no doubt be sending more work your way

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.