Welsh Mountain Railway...

This is the first of two plans inspired by a former branchline here in North Wales, the Bala to Blaenau Ffestiniog railway...

Illustration: James Hilton 2024

When we take such a characterful line as the Bala branch we need to try and distill the character such that any model 'feels' like the prototype. Unless you've an aircraft hangar any model is going to be a compromise, but capturing something of the spirit of the real place is key to success - and I often begin by bathing myself in as much reference material as I can find - be that photography, books, videos and online - this research period can easily become extended and lead to procrastination but without it we're shooting from the hip without the soul of the railway having imbued our conscious. 

A start is made by considering the whole route, and the operation of the railway. The Bala branch had two intermediate block posts where trains were crossed, these were important watering points for the heavy work climbing over the pass at Cwm Prysor - Arenig and Trawsfynydd. Further, a series of smaller stations and wonderfully remote halts provide plenty of potential. Recognising I was unlikely to fit the lot into a small British house I opted for the ends plus Arenig (less track than Traws) with a few halts. The stations are massively reduced but some feeling of running through the mountain scenery would be possible, especially in N. Taking things further, perhaps a purpose built garden room or layout space (insulated and well lit of course) you could adopt an American ploy and use promontories to extend the route, the curves suiting the character of the prototype well. Here, the extra space allows a bit more of the goods character of the line to be included, perhaps even a small section of narrow gauge at Blaenau?

However, without a fixed space in mind this is all a paper exercise - perhaps I am better to focus efforts on a 'LACK' sized cameo - and one location I think would really reward such an approach is Cwm Prysor - but more on that another time. 

If you'd like to work with me to develop your own layout design, my service starts from £180. Get in touch using the form in the menu or on the Modelmaking Commissions page, there is a link to my Facebook page where you can email me - you don't need a Facebook account. 

Until next time, more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Very atmospheric photos James. I like the idea of modelling a system rather than just one place, not managed it yet. Perfect prototype for n gauge with so sinuous curves. Looking forward to seeing how you develop these ideas. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Cwm Prysor micro may follow as the next one on from Pont Dulas - should that ever sell (!!)

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Another evocative scheme and one which could make a nice model country branch . I do agree with you that you have to do some immersive research to get the feel of the prototype even if only a small part is actually modelled .

    For me there would have to be a bigger freight component, probably more than the prototype actually generated, but the photos are as Tom said very evocative. So much so that they reminded me of a visit to the NCB's Maesteg railway back in 1970. This had the same wide and windswept feel you have on the Bala branch, but with at least three locos working was a bit busier, I imagine. I will send a photo to see if you agree

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan - I look forward to seeing them. I think my guy says the scenery is all wrong - Bala to Blaenau is a real mountain railway, but I will wait and see!

      Delete
  3. Have always thought this would make an excellent subject for a layout but have never managed to get a plan into a space and still have any chance of retaining the wild/space that defines most of the journey, very much a railway in the landscape. Do like the round the walls plan though.

    Manod station would fit into 8’ without compressing and if using the mainline has a prototypical inglenook shunting puzzle, a modellers dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not one for uncompressed modelling - we don't see things in reality in an uncompressed form - I'd be looking for the character and capturing a sense of place instead. The key to feeling I think is two fold, minimal infrastructure and a large enough room!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.