Crew van from a VIX (N part 64)…

Next year I am building a new N gauge layout, intended to showcase a few design ideas, the possibilities of modern N and run my modern N gauge stock. It is based upon the ‘Modern Goods’ scheme that has featured here previously, inspired by Middlesbrough Goods…


A lot of the information that inspired that scheme came from the Branch-line Society’s tour report. That report also shows a pair of AV Dawson’s 08s paired with a ‘crew’ (or mess) van, converted from an old VIX ferry wagon. This distinctive vehicle was converted by BR but is now preserved, there is more information at the bottom of the tour report above… however, a seed was sewn, and I thought ‘that would make a distinctive model’. Earlier this year I joined the N gauge society to access their shop as I wanted a few of the tank wagon kits (built up here and here) - seeing their VIX ferry wagons available felt serendipitous, an undecorated example was duly ordered.

Modifying the plastic bodyshell.

The first thing was dis-assembly, and a plan of attack for the doors and windows on the van. Designing and etching things isn’t a problem, I do it all the time, but I wanted to check how easy it would be to modify the plastic moulding and where to put the join lines. Decisions made the replacements panels were drawn up and printed out to check for fit before sending off for etching, this time, in a James Hilton first, in stainless steel! I wanted thin and robust parts, stainless provides that for a small cost increase. The benefit here though is I can leave the window frames unpainted and they’ll look like the aluminium frames of the prototype! Holes to go behind doors and windows were chain drilled (see photo) pushed out and cleaned up with a blade and files. I also removed the vents on the body side, 3 each side needed complete removal. A fourth needed the vent intact but plated over - this required very careful and deft work with a slightly dulled scalpel blade and fine abrasive paper. The results shown in the header feel hard won, but worth it! 

The beautiful stainless steel etch.

Whilst my own model is unlikely to wear the AV Dawson markings I intend to follow the distinctive red livery, so in the next week or so I’ll add some white primer and blow over some thin coats of Humbrol 220, which is a good rich gloss red. I’ll draw up some custom decals for the markings, and may letter it up for Hilton Mears!

Pre-primer showing the multi-media finish.

Before the holidays I was feeling completely burnt out, not through ‘work’ or like it seems to be fashionable to say, YouTube videos - more exhausted by life. Whilst I’m still tired and struggling with mood a little I have found the enforced break from work looking after the kids has rekindled a little of the creative mojo, and this model is one of the results. Whilst I recognised how I was feeling I was trapped in a hamster wheel, the more burnt out I felt the longer I had to work to get anything done - it became a vicious circle. I wouldn’t have stopped if it wasn’t forced on me. Now, I wonder if the life lesson will land? When I’m worrying about money, and hence working (too) hard, I will recognise that need for slowing down (even stopping) to maintain some peace of mind. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James. An interesting wagon project, incredible level of detail and work involved. The VIX is an interesting van, I have a pair of n gauge society vans in Dutch and satlink colours. I'm sorry to read you have been a bit burnt out over the last few weeks, I think I (an other readers?) probably take it for granted how much mental and emotional energy it takes to produce the material and ideas for the blog and your model making. Rest assured what you do is valued and worthwhile. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, writing here is never a chore, I love sharing it. Work felt like it was getting on top of me because of the stresses beyond that in other areas of life. I’m old and wise enough to understand, read and accept my mental state at any one time, but thank you, I’m really pleased and humbled so many read here and take something from it every day.

      Delete
  2. Good to meet you today, hope the Railnut’s layout provides some extra motivation for you. We used the time on the train back to Manchester to buy your latest book, and then walked along the Castlefield Viaduct, a brilliant use of old infrastructure in a city centre. Dave & Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, lovely to meet you both today as well. I was happy to leave a copy of the book with Pete and his team, I wonder if I’ll ever find out what they made of it! Enjoy the rest of your trip. Best James

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.