Friday Update: Nine Eight Twenty-four…

Welcome to this weeks edition of ‘Friday Update’, your chance to step inside my workshop and take a look at what has been happening across my bench…


Cheesy intros aside, this is another bumper update as this week saw a slow but deliberate step back into work after a few weeks away. There is some exciting news to share and some models I’ve enjoyed working on - and in the case of the first, a mix of the two! This is my new kit, a narrow gauge Jung locomotive in 009 using the N gauge Bachmann ‘Percy’ chassis. Whilst we have grown accustomed to one piece 3D printed resin bodies I wanted to go back to where I started in kit design, a multi media product that you actually build yourself. The model is built around a dimensionally accurate and stable 3D printed core with etched nickel silver overlays. A number of 3D printed details are combined with various dimensions of wire to produce the pipework and steam feeds, the result is of your hand as much as mine. I’m looking into supporting the new Shapeways management buy out in Eindhoven for the printed part, so no news on availability but pricing is expected to be similar to the Narrow Planet O&K. This will be a limited production single batch kit. It is exciting to be working on this, and I hope a small number of you will want to add one to your collection.


This OO Bachmann a class 24 arrived a month or so ago as a prop for when I’m building commission layouts as I realised I didn’t have much in the way of BR blue diesels for posing on final completion. That was the excuse, actually I’ve always liked the prototype and fancied something of this nature before Rails were offering this one for just £109! I’m not rushing it, rather fitting it around commission work. You can see it has started with a coat of satin lacquer all over and now I’ve started on the chassis with washes, and next will use prototype photos to make an attempt at the distinctive weathering these diesels gathered in their body sides and roofs.


The main commission work at the moment is this layout build with a hard deadline set by my customers holiday to collect it! This week I’ve finished off the bridges and am nearly there now with the ballasting. The custom backscene has been ordered and once that arrives I can make a good start on the greenery, it will come together very quickly. Today’s job is to finish the ballasting and begin the two small structures at the front right of the layout, which will give it some interest and provide view blocks from the expected viewing height. It will be wonderful to see this come to life, I’m really enjoying working on others layout builds this year.


Beaverbrook continues to see operation sessions - but also some new video! This photo teases at what is to come, hopefully a Hilton and Mears collaboration if the Atlantic doesn’t make that too difficult. Chris and I continue to discuss happenings with HMLX our faux leasing company, I may shortly have another 50ft box car for sale, if any of you are interested in including a little of our story on your own railroad.


Possibly the most exciting news this week is that the printing of Model Railway Companion is complete and you will be able to get your hands on a copy very very soon! I’m hoping to get my copies early next week, and I believe they will be for sale on pre-order with Simon my publisher at The Titfield Thunderbolt book shop shortly.

This book is something different, a collection of inspiring model railways across the globe compiled by me (and with a generous helping of my own projects!) - if it proves popular who knows what may follow! Once I have my copy I’ll do the usual video! For now, join me in eager anticipation!

Contributors include Dilz, Glidewell, Lachance, Manheim, Marshall-Porter, McCulloch, Pasman and Williamson. Prototypes across Europe and North America, standard and narrow gauge. The work in full colour described in their own heart felt words. Motivation and inspiration contained within its pages - and a true companion, to enjoy over and again. I can’t wait to see what you all think!


A few weeks ago I was selling off some surplus stock and layouts (Pont Dulas and my Mosslanda display shelf are still available). The 37 found a home on Traeth Hafren, a previous project I sold earlier in the year! It’s lovely to see my work reunited with one of my locomotives, I hope that they continue to inspire and enthuse their new owner!


Mentioning Pont Dulas here she is in black and white and feeling very much like a shot of the Cardigan branch with a short, slow, meandering stopping passenger and parcel service. This Pannier and carriage are straight out of the box and were ‘whim’ purchases ‘for my birthday’, but whether they stay long term, who knows. An attractive offer for Pont Dulas could see them included in the sale! 


I’ll finish things off with where I started the week, the contrasts of second and first generation DMUs. The 153 pictured at Whitchurch, a stalwart survivor in Transport for Wales service between Shrewsbury and Crewe and the Class 108 at Glyndyfrdwy. I’m sure you can all guess my preference! Whatever the weekend holds for you I hope you have a good one, thank you for your continued presence here and I do hope you can support me with a book or kit purchase in the coming weeks, every little helps and I always appreciate you all reading and engaging with my writing! Until next time, more soon…

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. That new book sounds great… on my list to order. Many thanks for the enjoyable update on your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on a copy. We've deliberately kept the price low as it's a new concept, sort of like the 'annuals' of old - and perhaps more akin to a high end mountainbikes or skateboard magazines.

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Another interesting list of projects. The Jung is tempting as sugar mill loco. Delighted that your new book is being published . It looks another must have publication. Not on Wild Swan new books yet but will be ordering it as soon as it "hits the streets"

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan - yes, the Jung would work well as a sugar mill shunter - the cab has two options for the rear, plain and one with a set of half etched doors, so a small 'cane' tender could be towed!?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.