Commission: Bachmann Class 31 weathering…

One thing I do quite like about working on other peoples models is the chance to see examples of products fairly shortly after release that otherwise I wouldn’t get to handle…


This Class 31 is an example of the brand new tooling from Bachmann. Supplied in the typical packaging with usual quality lustre of paint it is lovely. It, to me, captures the prototype very nicely indeed. As someone who values the artistic element of the hobby this matters a great deal. 


The weathering shown here is my usual deluxe four stage process, washes, micro painting, airbrush and dry brush. The results feel personal, reflecting both prototype observation and my love of model railways. I do love the Class 31, always have. The way the dirt and rust collects around the body, that panel line along the bottom of the body side where dirt collects and oil seeps out, it’s lovely to reflect these traits in miniature. The BR blue of the base model was not treated to any lacquer in this instance, I felt the sheen of the Bachmann finish lent a lovely contrast to the over painted filth and greater contrast to the streaks and dirt applied to her sides.


This particular example is heading to Leatown for a rare exhibition outing in the coming weeks and I look forward to being able to share a photo of this commission sat in its new home in a future Friday update. In the meantime, I haven’t seen a Bachmann 25 yet, if anyone fancies me weathering one?! I am happy to undertake weathering commissions alongside the larger work undertaken here so get in touch for a personal proposal. Scope and complexity can vary to suit your budget. In the meantime, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments