Down on Beaverbrook: In primer…

Whilst that phrase ‘in primer’ is often used here to describe the wonderful moment a model’s disparate materials are brought together under a unifying coat of grey undercoat it is not something that routinely happens on my Canadian HO scale shelf layout, Beaverbrook…


One thing I’m not sure everyone is aware of is that my layout is a compressed version of reality. Beaverbrook Street is a real place in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. The long structure here has been a long time in gestation, the most challenging structure on the shelf layout, but seeing it now in primer I have both a sense of satisfaction and slight anxiety as it’s completion will see just one structure remaining in cardboard and the inevitable sense of finished that may follow.

If you have never paid a virtual visit to the road then I invite you to click the image below and, assuming you have Google Earth, you should find yourself on the intersection of Beaverbrook Street and Alcock Street where the corner of this structure and the Co-op mill back onto one another.

:: Click image to open in Google Earth ::

Perhaps I shouldn’t worry, Paxton Road is ‘complete’ but far from finished and sees operation or just a photo shoot most weeks. I’m certain Beaverbrook, when the time comes, will do the same. This weekend saw work focused upon the ground work around the structure, building up a base with cork and filler, then static grass (and some non-sanded to tile grout) to begin visually bedding the building into the scene. Whilst still a stark (too dark) grey, the header photograph has a great deal of a ‘sense of place’. I’ve never stood on this road, but my friend has, and he assures me we’re on the right track (sorry, poor pun). 

Until next time, more soon…


Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.


Comments

  1. That looks great, James!
    I love the primer stage...as you say, it ties things together, and I also find it very useful for showing up any blemishes, omissions, etc.
    Grey is a great colour for the job, to me the subsequent processes of painting and weathering have a similar magic to completing a colouring-in book...
    Cheers,
    Simon.
    PS, We have now moved, it'll be a while before I can get any modelling done, but when we went to IKEA in Bristol on Friday, a Mosslanda "accidentally" fell into the trolley...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news - glad you've made the move, and hope you enjoy the relocation. Mosslanda hey... I wonder what will happen there?

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    The upgraded building looks really good and although slightly darker to my eyes the primer is a good match for the real thing. I think you have captured that really well in your H0 version.

    I would not worry that Beaverbrook will seem finished at some stage soon. You will know it is not complete, as is the case with very few model railroads, and have the interest to move forward with those extra details. Operating can also be a way of seeing something new Changing the players ( locos and cars) will always make things fresh as will using it for photo shoots.

    I have been "finishing" my layout for around twenty years and it is still not complete. Operating is fun and so who knows it may never get to that finished state!!!

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of comfort Alan, about completion. I think I've rationalised things in my head - hopefully I'll get some more grayscale on the model in the coming evenings.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.