Commission: Plantation diesel in 009…

I am often asked to finish or refinish a customers model. This 009 narrow gauge ‘Whitcomb’ diesel is a little different from my usual prototypes but has been great fun to recreate in miniature…


My customer supplied the 3D printed body and Kato chassis - but the print has quite visible layering. Whilst I have worked this this as much as possible it was I possible to remove most of it because of the raised detail. Instead, my approach was to add or replace items to break up the striations - such as the fine styrene micro strip along the footplate edge.

 

Pipework for the air cylinders was fabricated in brass rod whilst the distinctive green canvas curtains are carved styrene tube. Painted in orange the finishing touches are the custom decals, hand drawn to match the painted originals.


If you have a model you’d like me to breathe life into then please do get in touch. We can discuss a fixed price proposal that matches your requirements. The contact form in the menu should work, but if you struggle or don’t get a confirmation then you’re able to email me via the Facebook page - but you don’t need a Facebook account to do that. However, until next time, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    That is very nice. I assume it is based on the loco at St Kitts Sugar factory working the pier branch until the early 2000's . It sure looks like photos in The "St Kitts Railway" book of #12 at work in 2002. If it is however it is not a Whitcomb but the Armstrong Whitworth 0-4-0 built for St Kitts in 1934. Probably does not make any difference - just being pedantic. BUT it is a great rendition and I can not see the "layering" even at this magnification. You do these things so well

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mistake Alan, in fact I probably knew all that but was too lazy to dig through emails to remember it! Thank you for the kind words, she’s quite a monster really compared to my usual 009 but similar in height to your Joan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.