Enjoying building trains…

Whilst in my more recent years I’ve really developed a reputation for crafting cameo layouts my life long love in this wonderful hobby has always been the locomotive…


From childhood I started with Craftsman white metal detailing kits and ended up with Branchlines etched brass chassis with a dose of repainting in the middle. These days of ‘commission modelling for my living’ it can be difficult to connect with this in quite the same way. My passion drives your models, yes, but if I’ve been working a lot on others locomotives be it kits, repainting or what have you, the energy to work on my own can wane a little. The flip side is I’ve learnt to appreciate more of this great craft now taking a great deal of pleasure in structures and layout builds.


That said I’ve really fallen back under the spell of that first love this week, in the arms of a Kaslo Shops MLW RS-23 kit. Four years ago a Kaslo S13 kit marked my rediscovery of Canadian HO scale modelling, a similar prototype but where that S13 was a Canadian National model, this RS-23 is Canadian Pacific. That kit was also in resin, where this example has been ‘digitally remastered’ and is 3D printed. 

I discovered with the S13 that a heavily modified Bachmann Alco switcher chassis would fit neatly under the shell. This time, I’ve cheated and picked up a sound value example in anticipation of the RS-23 arriving from Canada, these can be had for a lot less than £100 second hand and give you a reasonable (although inaccurate for these 251 engined prototypes) sound - especially if paired with a Rail Exclusive sugar cube.


Mind you, the chassis modification is not for the feint hearted! Once you’ve stripped all the components off the metal casting you need to cut the ends off, and then trim each side to the width of the motor. This leaves the ends quite fragile where they meet the fuel tank, but this is re-enforced with the ‘frames’ provided in the kit. Within hours of the kit arriving I had cut mine down though, as seen above. Then follows an hour or so of tinkering to get the ‘frames’ glued at the right height on the chassis so the body sits well vs other stock. Whilst I was happy with it being level in this photo, I later added about 0.8mm to the height before further detailing. I am really pleased with how I was able to modify the truck frames, cutting off the sides of the Bachmann mouldings with a razor saw so I was able to superglue the kits replacements to the brake shoes and centre stretcher.


The speed at which this kit has progressed is proof of that renewed passion for making trains. When a prototype or kit really grab me I can get completely lost in it - hours spent in research, more in assembly - all a welcome balm to real life. You see, I’m old enough to realise that this hobby isn’t just an interest - it is the place I feel safe, it is how I express my emotions, it is, I suppose in a crude sense, a coping mechanism. The energy and creativity channelled through my models and shared with you all is just as personal as reading another’s diary. Recognising this and embracing it has been one of the most powerful lessons of my adult life. I hope that not only my modelling, but also the heart felt writing encourages you to discover your own connection to the craft and to the hobby? Until next time, more soon…



Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee.

Comments

  1. Those Kaslo kits are extremely tempting, perhaps later down the HO adventure line but still on the radar, its lovely when something just comes together. Looking forward to seeing what colours this particular addition sports!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The S13 could be very useful for someone day dreaming of the Trilium or Satigan systems…

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    You have to be braver than I with that frame conversion. However the RS-23 is looking good and the S-13 was really nice. It is a shame none made to Industrial shortlines in the west. They only seen to have run in Ontario/Quebec.

    Looking forward to how you finish this lokey

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan - braver or stupid! Mind the donor model is so cheap, you could always replace it... you're right though, they didn't seem to end up West - presume kept in the Maritimes and Quebec because of proximity to MLW for repairs!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.